Installing Tamper Resistant Receptacle Outlets
How to Wire a Garage Light Fixture and Switch: As a good practice it wold be best to install tamper resistant receptacle outlets where ever they may be i the presence of infants. Check with your local building department and inquire about the local ruling.
Where should You Install Tamper Resistant Receptacle Outlets
Also, do all over counter top GFCI’s in the kitchen need to be 20amp or is that only if they are to be used for an appliance?
This electrical wiring question came from: David, from New York, New York.
Additional Comments: Love the website.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question David.
Tamper Resistant Receptacle Outlets
Application: Replacing Receptacle Outlets.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the number of outlets that will be replaced.
Precaution: Identify the outlet circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional outlet wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Where to Install Tamper Resistant Outlets
- Although the National Electrical Code is stating that tamper resistant receptacle outlets be installed in homes, the actual code must first be adopted and enforced by your local building department or agency jurisdiction, which may then be required to be installed for new and remodel construction projects.
- Check with your local building department and inquire about the local ruling.
- As a good practice it wold be best to install tamper resistant receptacle outlets where ever they may be i the presence of infants.
Kitchen Counter Top Outlets
- As for the kitchen counter top GFCI outlets, this would fall under the category of Small Appliances which should be placed on a 20 amp circuit.
GFCI and GFI Wiring Diagrams
- The features and benefits of GFCI outlets and receptacles will give you a clear understanding of the importance why these safety devices are required by code to help protect you and your family against accidental electrical shock hazards.
More about Electrical Wiring and Outlets
Kitchen Electrical Wiring
- Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Kitchen Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
For more information about Electrical Code
Home Electrical Code
- Electrical Code Directory covering electrical outlets.