Installing Pot Lights
How to Install Recessed Pot Light Fixtures: Some types are constructed so that the insulation can come into contact with the fixture housing and there are others that give a specific distance based on the heat that will be produced and other factors.
Insulation Factors and Types of Recessed Pot Lights
- I have a 3rd floor with is my attic which is livable space.
- Anyway there was some insulation in some of the joist space where I have installed a pot light, so I removed the insulation as far back that my arm could reach, which is a good 4ft.
- Would this be good enough to pass an inspection since they say 6″ away from pot light from insulation?
This recessed lighting question came from: Ryan, a Handyman from Toronto, Ontario
Thanks for your recessed lighting question Ryan.
How to Install Recessed Pot Light Fixtures
Skill Level: Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and access to the light fixture(s).
Precaution: Identify the light circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Important: Installing additional fixture wiring should be done with a permit and be inspected.
Insulation Factors and Recessed Pot Lights
- Examine the documentation that came with the pot lights that you have purchased and installed.
- There are several design types of pot lights and the inspector will determine what is acceptable based on the type that you have installed.
- Some types are constructed so that the insulation can come into contact with the fixture housing and there are others that give a specific distance based on the heat that will be produced and other factors.
The Following will assist you with your Recessed Pot Lights
- How To Install Recessed Lighting
- This article is about recessed lighting for your home electrical improvements.
- Discover how recessed lighting can enhance the mood of any room in your home.