Installing Pendant Mounted Fluorescent Light Fixtures
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
Installing Fluorescent Light Fixtures: How Electrical Codes May Affect Fluorescent Lighting Installations.
Considerations When Installing Fluorescent Lights
- Half way through the job, the customer feels the fixtures are too low at 6’6 above finished floor.
- The engineer says the reason for specifying 18″ pendent was because of fire codes. When asked to provide this code, he was unable to.
- Is there a fire code that requires the fixtures to be a minimum 18″ from ceiling to the top of the fixture. I cannot find anything in the NEC, not sure if I am overlooking.
This electrical question came from: Jeff, from Dallas, Texas.
Thanks for your fluorescent lighting question Jeff.
Installing Fluorescent Light Fixtures
Application: Fluorescent Light Fixtures.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, the ability to work with tools, the number of fixtures to be installed, and access to locations of the light fixture(s).
Precaution: Identify the light circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional fixture wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected. Planing for temporary lighting during the project.
How Electrical Codes May Affect Fluorescent Lighting Installations
- Architect Lighting Specifications
- When a set of plans are produced for an electrical project they are typically developed by a licensed engineer or architect with specifications which reflect applicable codes and special circumstances.
- Approved Set of Plans
- The plans are reviewed and corrections are applied as needed and then approved . Many times the plan set will list specific codes and clouded areas on the plan to reinforce specific code requirements.
- Lighting and Other Systems
- As with this question this data room may have a form of fire suppression such as fire sprinkler heads or as with most data rooms a halon system.
- If the type of fire system or specific sprinkler head or suppression delivery system will be affected by lighting fixtures then this will affect the installation of the fluorescent light fixtures, and the code reference should be noted as well for clarification.
- Installing Light Fixtures
- When installing any light fixtures it should be noted that the lowest point of the the light fixture should provide adequate clearance to the floor as well these other considerations.
More about Installing Lighting Fixtures
Planning and Installing Home Light Fixtures
Home lighting articles covering recessed lighting, under cabinet lighting, lighting terminology and more.
Electrical Code Articles for Home Wiring
Electrical Code Directory covering AFCI circuit, electrical-boxes, electrical-circuit, electrical-code-outlets, electrical GFCI, electrical-grounding, electrical-project, electrical-services, electrical-underground, electrical-wiring, electrical-wiring-code, lighting-code, and smoke-detectors.