Installing New Trims for Recessed Can Light Fixtures
How to Replace Recessed Light Trims: Commonly there are a wide range of trims that are available which most homeowners are not aware of.
Options for Installing Recessed Trims or Converting Light Fixtures
Electrical Question: My wife wants to put new trims on some low voltage recessed cans in our kitchen.
- The problem is that they are designed for PAR20 or PAR30 bulbs.
- Is it possible (and safe) to convert the cans?
- an I just replace the socket plate and take the transformer out of the circuit to essentially convert the housing to line voltage?
Thanks for any guidance you can provide.
This electrical wiring question came from: Dean, a Homeowner from Garland, Texas.
See more about Home Wiring for Texas
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Dean.
How to Replace Recessed Light Trims
Options for Recessed Light Fixture Trims
- Dean, the safest advice I can give you is to install trims that are within the specified list of those that are available for your light fixture.
- Commonly there are a wide range of trims that are available which most homeowners are not aware of.
- Just search for the make and model to see what is available and I think that you will be surprised.
- As for converting your existing recessed light fixture, I would see if there is a conversion kit that is available for the make and model that you have.
Light Fixture Safety
- Understandable the same can or housing may be used for several models for the light fixture, however please be aware that converting the light fixture using your own method will void the UL Listing for that light fixture and you will not have the proper specifications about what type of light bulbs would be safe for the converted fixture and the type of trim that would be installed.
The Following will assist you with recessed lighting
- How To Install Recessed Lighting
- This article is about recessed lighting for your home electrical improvements.
- Discover how recessed lighting can enhance the mood of any room in your home.
- Kitchen Electrical Wiring
- Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Kitchen Electrical Wiring
- Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
For more information about Electrical Wiring
- Electrical Wiring
- Home electrical wiring projects with pictures and wiring diagrams.
- This link is helpful as a Homeowner
- Do-It-Yourself Electrical
|« Outlets Loose Power Due to Space Heater||220 Volt Circuit for Equipment From Another Country »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Recessed Can Light
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
See more about Electrical Wiring in Your Local Area