Installing Garage Light Fixtures
How to Install and Connect Garage Light Fixtures: Wiring Light Fixtures, Cords and Plugs, Light Fixture Clearance.
Guide for Installing Garage Lights
Electrical Question: I am planning to install garage light fixtures.
- What else must I use to hang a high bay fixture in a garage besides metal clamps for chain support on metal beams and jack chain rated at 30 pounds, one on each end of fixture and on metal beams.
- There will be cable connectors on the light fixture, an electrical junction box, and 14-3 SO 600Volt rated HD cord.
This electrical wiring question came from Jim, a Property Manager from Helena, Montana.
Thanks for your Electrical Wiring question Jim.
How to Install and Connect Garage Light Fixtures
Application: Garage Ceiling Mounted High Bay Light Fixtures.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best installed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and access to the light fixture(s).
Precaution: Identify the lighting circuit or power source, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional garage fixture wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Materials List for Installing Garage High Bay Light Fixtures
Jim, it sounds like you have a good material list for installing garage light fixture, and here are a few more ideas for you to consider:
- Wiring Light Fixtures
Type SO or SJ cord is great for making cords that attach right to the light high bay fixtures and other suspended light fixtures.
- Cords and Plugs
Cord caps for the ends of the cords.
- Receptacle Box
A receptacle box assembly located just above each light fixture.
- High Bay Light Fixture
You will notice that the high bay light fixtures have hooks for hanging, so the cord connection provides for an east connect or disconnect.
- Light Fixture Clearance
When installing most High Bay light fixtures you will need 7 feet minimum clearance.
More about Garage Electrical Wiring Projects:
- Garage Electrical Wiring
- Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Garage Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
- Electrical Junction Boxes for Home Wiring
- Understanding electrical junction boxes and what they are used for. Home electrical wiring is the process of installing electrical wire to a location that will serve electrical devices or an appliance.
- One very important component is the box where the wire will be installed. The type and size of the home wiring electrical boxes will depend upon the circuit size, application and its location.
For more information about Electrical Code
- Home Electrical Code
- Electrical Codes for installing light fixtures.
|« Electrical Connections for a 240 Volt Dryer Outlet||Wiring Diagrams for Installing Ceiling Fans »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Garage Light Fixture
Or Ask Dave a Question
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.