Installing Electrical Wiring for Pool Equipment
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
What type of Wire Should I Install for Pool Equipment? Installing an Electrical Circuit for a Pool Pump.
If this is your first visit, be sure to sign up for your Free Electrical Tips and eBook.
Your Comments and Electrical Questions are always welcome.
Wiring Pool Equipment
- I’m installing the electrical from my pool pump to the house breaker panel and want to know the type of wire
- I need to run inside the conduit. I’m told that it has to be single-strand wire but I don’t know if I need to run two wires inside the conduit since I don’t know what the wire looks like.
- I’ve dug the trench to the required 12″ depth for the conduit since the GFCI will be located by the breaker box inside the house.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
This electrical wiring question came from Angelo, in Commack , New York.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Angelo.
Installing an Electrical Circuit for a Pool Pump
Application: Installing Electrical Wiring for Pool Equipment.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced, Best installed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tool, Voltage Tester, trenching equipment or shovels .
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools and the condition of the soil where conduit will be installed.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the method used for install the circuit wiring.
Precaution: Working in electrical panels is not recommended for homeowners. Working in an electric panel is dangerous due to arc flash hazards and the possibility of electric shock.
Notice: Installing additional electric circuit wiring for a pool pump and equipment should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Sizing the Circuit Wiring for a Pool Pump
Here are some factors that must be considered to properly determine the circuit wiring for a pool pump and pool equipment:
- Will there be one circuit or more circuits.
- Identify the pool equipment: What is the size of the pump and the amperage and voltage circuit requirements.
- What is the length of the wire run for the electrical circuit.
- What is the type of conduit to be used for the circuit wiring.
- Example: When installing electrical wire in PVC conduit it is typical to use Type THWN Electrical Wire.
More about Wiring Swim Pool Equipment
Electrical Code Directory covering electrical GFCI circuits and underground electrical wiring.
Wiring Circuits and Circuit Breakers
This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
GFCI and GFI Wiring Diagrams
The features and benefits of GFCI outlets and receptacles will give you a clear understanding of the importance why these safety devices are required by code to help protect you and your family against accidental electrical shock hazards.
More about Wiring a Pool
Electrician Explains a Swimming Pool Circuit.
Learn How to Wire it Right with my
Complete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Perfect for Homeowners, Students,
Handyman, Handywomen, and Electricians
Wiring GFCI Outlets
Wiring Home Electrical Circuits
120 Volt and 240 Volt Outlet Circuits
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Electric Range
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Dryer Cord and Dryer Outlet
Troubleshooting and Repair Electrical Wiring
Wiring Methods for Upgrading Electrical Wiring
Electrical Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.
» Click here to learn more about Home Electrical Wiring «
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.