Installing Electrical Power to a Garage
Troubleshooting a Garage Electrical Wiring Problem: How to Wire a GFCI Circuit Breaker.
Garage Electrical Wiring
- I have had a garage built in the garden. It has a small panel board that feeds various circuits with 15A breakers.
- The feed is from an existing panel board in the house. The feeder breaker to the garage panel board is 40A with an integrated Ground Fault Interrupter and Earth Leakage Protector.
- The problem I have, is that when I switch OFF the garage fluorescent lights, the 40A GFI breaker in the house panel board trips. It doesn’t trip the 15A breaker in the garage panel.
- Why would this switching OFF of the lights trip the main GFI breaker? Should I run the neutral directly to the neutral bar & bypass the GFI in the 40A breaker.
Your comments would be much appreciated.
This electrical question came from: John, from Vancouver, Canada.
Thanks for your electrical question John.
How to Fix Garage Electrical Wiring Problems
Application: Troubleshooting and Repairing Garage Wiring Problems.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, Voltage Tester or Volt Ohm Meter or plug-in circuit analyzer.
Estimated Time: Depends on the age of the home and the condition of the electrical wiring and access to the circuit wiring to be inspected, evaluated and repaired.
Precaution: Identify the circuit at the electric panel, turn it OFF and then Tag it with a Note before performing any wiring inspections or electrical repairs.
Troubleshooting a Garage Electrical Wiring Problem
How to Wire a GFCI Circuit Breaker
- The neutral wire of the circuit to be protected by ground fault must be attached to the GFCI circuit breaker neutral wire terminal,. The neutral lead wire of the GFCI breaker attaches to the neutral bar of the panel.
Garage Electrical Wiring
- If the garage light fixture is tripping the GFCI circuit breaker then make sure the light fixture is properly grounded and that the switch is a good quality switch.
- The neutral wire of the circuit must be attached to the GFCI circuit breaker, then the neutral lead wire of the GFCI breaker attaches to the neutral bar in the panel.
- Keep in mind that light fixtures that are over 7 feet or are nor accessible are not required to be GFCI protected, however the accessible outlets are.
- The main circuit to the garage is not required to be on GFCI circuit breaker either unless the feeder cable is UF or Direct Burial cable and the depth is not per code.
- Check with the local electrical codes which may required the garage feeder to be protected by GFCI, according to the CEC Canadian Electrical Code or NEC depending on your specific location.
More about Garage Electrical Wiring
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Garage Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
Basic House Wiring Circuits
House Wiring GFCI Circuits and Circuit Breakers
This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
Home Electrical Circuit Breakers
A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
GFCI and GFI Wiring Diagrams
The features and benefits of GFCI outlets and receptacles will give you a clear understanding of the importance why these safety devices are required by code to help protect you and your family against accidental electrical shock hazards.
Testers to Help Solve Electrical Problems