Installing Ceiling Light Fixtures
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
How are the wires connected for a new light fixture? How to Make the Wire Connections for Light Fixtures.
Identifying Ceiling Light Fixture Wiring
- I have two existing wires coming in from ceiling.
- One wire has black and white wires, the 2nd has black, white and red wire.
- The new fixture has black, white and ground wire.
- What are the proper connections?
This electrical wiring question came from: Jeff, a Homeowner from Rochester, New York.
Additional Comments: Great site!
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Jeff.
Wiring Ceiling Light Fixtures
How to Make the Wire Connections for Light Fixtures
- Jeff, ceiling light fixture only require a hot, neutral and a ground wire.
- When there are more wires in the ceiling fixture box that what is required for the light fixture then the remaining wire will need to be identified for proper wring.
- If there is a wall switch that controls the light fixture, then the wires leading to the switch will need to be identified.
- Other wiring that may be found in a ceiling fixture box may include branch circuit wring that leads to other light fixtures or wall outlets in the same room or another room. It all depends on how the home was wired.
Electrical Tip About Installing Light Fixtures
When replacing an existing light fixture, be careful to identify the wires that are connected to the old existing light fixture. It is not necessary to take apart any additional wring that may be in the fixture box, otherwise you may have to spend time identifying the wiring.
Learn more about how to wire light fixtures
- Electrical Wire for the Home
- Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
- For more information about Electrical Wiring
- Electrical Wiring
- Electrical Wiring
- Home electrical wiring projects with pictures and wiring diagrams.
- This link is helpful as a Homeowner