Installing a Switch for a 240 Volt Pump
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
Methods of Wiring a Switch for a Pump: How to Wire a Control Switch for a 240 Volt Pump.
Why a Double Pole Switch is the Best Choice
- The pump has a maximum current draw of 15.4A (listed on the label).
- The pump is on a dedicated 240V, 20A circuit.
- I would like to add a switch to be able to turn the pump on and off.
- Can I use a 240V, 20A single pole switch for the black wire or do I need a double pole?
This electrical question came from: Philip, a Homeowner from Mooresville, North Carolina.
Additional Comments: Great site.
Thanks for your electrical question Philip.
Wiring a Switch for a 240V Pump
Application: Irrigation Pump Switch.
Skill Level: Intermediate – Best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools and electrical wiring.
Precaution: Identify the pump power 240v circuit at the electric panel, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the switch wiring.
Materials: Make sure the switch is rated for the electrical circuit, which in this case is 240volts 20 amps.
How to Wire a Control Switch for a 240 Volt Pump
- Wiring a Control Switch for a 240 Volt Pump
- When controlling a 240 volt motor, it is best to install a double pole switch for this irrigation pump.
- A double pole switch is the safest way to make sure that both lines of the 240 volt circuit power to the pump are turned off.
- A double pole switch has four termination points, two for the 240 volt Line of the electrical circuit, and two for the Load which leads to the pump motor.
- Alternative On-Off Control for a 240 Volt Pump
- A relay contactor may also be used to control a pump motor.
- A low voltage control circuit would be required which could be wired into the 240 volt pump circuit wiring, and the control circuit will need to have over current protection.
- The control circuit wiring could then be wired to a single switch located at a remote location.
- The low voltage wiring would be connected to a 240 volt relay contactor which would have a low voltage coil which matches to control voltage that is used.
- Typical low volt control circuits are 24 volts ac, therefore low volt control wiring may be used, however the gauge of the control circuit wire must be sized according to the length of the control circuit.
- Disconnect Switch at the Pump
- A 240 volt disconnect switch should also be installed at the location of the pump motor to ensure the circuit power is turned off before servicing the pump motor or associated components.
More about Electric Wiring
Electric Circuit Listing
The size of the home electrical service panel is designed by calculating the square footage of the home and factoring in the code requirements for the electrical circuits that are required.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
For more information about 220 Volt Wiring Diagram
220 Volt Wiring Diagram
Wiring 220 Volt Electrical Outlet
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how electrical outlets for the home are wired.
Learn How to Wire it Right with my
Complete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Perfect for Homeowners, Students,
Handyman, Handywomen, and Electricians
Wiring GFCI Outlets
Wiring Home Electrical Circuits
120 Volt and 240 Volt Outlet Circuits
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Electric Range
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Dryer Cord and Dryer Outlet
Troubleshooting and Repair Electrical Wiring
Wiring Methods for Upgrading Electrical Wiring
Electrical Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.
» Click here to learn more about Home Electrical Wiring «
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.
|« Installing Sub-Panel Wiring||Laundry Room GFI Outlet »|