Installing a Power Conditioner for Audio Video Equipment
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
How to Protect Your Electronic Equipment Against Power Surges: The importance of protecting your valuable electronic devices with power conditioning equipment, Good quality power conditioners, voltage surges and spikes.
Power Conditioners for Electronic Equipment
- Can you tell me if what I have laid out is safe?
- Would it make a difference daisy-chaining the electrical outlets instead of having them all meet up at the junction box in the attic?
- Your advice is much appreciated.
This electrical wiring question came from: David, a Handyman from McKinney, Texas.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question David.
How to Protect Your Electronic Equipment Against Power Surges
Application: Wiring a 120 Volt Receptacle Outlets.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the type of power conditioning that will be installed and the access to the location for the electrical wiring.
Precaution: Identify the existing outlet circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing permanent electrical wiring for power conditioning equipment should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Power Conditioners to Help Protect Your Electronic Equipment
David has provided a proprietary diagram that he used for his power conditioning circuit, however the following applies to all electronic equipment:
- I cannot stress enough the importance of protecting your valuable electronic devices with power conditioning equipment.
- Good quality power conditioners will provide protection against voltage surges and spikes.
- Better power conditioners will maintain ideal voltage levels and thresholds.
- Be sure to identify the amount of circuit load or watts that your equipment requires, then clearly read and compare the different name brands for a complete understanding of what the various models as far as power quality protection so you know what you are getting.
- For Example:
- Most battery backup devices for computers do not provide power conditioning unless it is stated in the specifications.
- For Example:
More about Power Conditioning and Surge Protection
- Electrical Surges and Home Electrical Power Quality Solutions
- Home electrical power quality articles help you prevent power quality occurrences that can damage your home and appliances.
- Understanding the threats and installing the right power quality protection will help prevent electrical power quality problems
- Wiring Electrical Outlet for the Home
- Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home.
- See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
- Electrical Wire for the Home
- Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
For more information about Circuit Wiring
- Electrical Circuit Wiring
- This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.