Installing a Dimmer Switch for Existing Fixtures
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
How do I Replace a Switch with a Dimmer Switch for my Light Fixtures? Dimmer Switch Wiring Connections for Light Fixtures.
Light Fixture Dimmer Switch
- I have three lights hanging over the kitchen island controlled by one switch.
- Each light fixture has a 60watt bulb in it. I bought a single pole 600W dimmer.
- I installed all of the wires from the old switch in the same places on the new dimmer.
- Besides the ground, there were two wires on screw terminals and one back wired.
- The dimmer works great, but only the first fixture goes on at all! What’s going on?
Thanks so much! (Please assume I know nothing, because that would be the truth!)
This electrical wiring question came from: Heather, a Homeowner from Colgate, Wisconsin.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Heather.
How to Wire a Dimmer Switch
Application: Wiring a Dimmer Switch.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools.
Precaution: Identify the lighting circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before wiring the new dimmer.
Dimmer Switch Wiring Connections for Light Fixtures
- Splicing Existing Wires
It was stated in this question that there was two wires on a screw terminal, so these two wires need to be spliced together and connected to one wire from the dimmer switch.
- When replacing a switch with a dimmer it is important to identify the existing wiring before removing the wires from the switch.
- Using electrical tape or masking tape that you can number would be very helpful for identifying the wires locations.
- The Power Wire and the Light Fixture Wire
Typically there will be one wire that provides the power and one wire that leads up to the light fixtures.
- In this case, there was a pair of wires that were attached to one switch terminal, so these wires must stay together creating the splice with one wire from the dimmer.
- Testing the the Dimmer Switch Wiring
Using a tester to identify the power supply is necessary for the proper connection to the power lead of the dimmer switch. See the dimmer switch for full details.
- Always turn off the circuit before working with the wire connections.
More about How to Wire a Dimmer Switch
How to Install Kitchen Electrical Wiring
Kitchen Electrical Wiring
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Kitchen Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.