Incorrect Cable Wiring Causes House Fires
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
Electrical Tips to Avoid House Fires Due to Incorrect Electrical Wiring
Failure To Install The Right Cable Can Result In Fire!
- Ive never owned an electric stove/oven before, with he heating coils, but i just recently acquired a used one when my older gas range died on me.
- I was assured from the person i bought it from that it worked really well and its not that old. problem was, he said when he moved into a new home the power cord was ripped.
- When i saw it there was basically the cord with the ‘male’ end ripped off, but the wires were still intact and connected to the stove.
- 3 wires. it was also ripped off enough to where if i just bought a heavy duty plug end to just connect it to, it wouldn’t reach my plug outlet since its about 4 ft high.
- I’m pretty decent with electronics and rewiring things, so I simply grabbed an extra computer monitor power cord I had and cut off the female end of it and connected it to the exposed wires from the stove and used electrical tape to seal them up separated from one another and plugged it in. It seemed to work fine, but I’m noticing that its not getting hot enough on the burners or the oven. from my understanding, the coils on top should get bright red if its on ‘high’.
- It also WILL NOT boil water at all…it will get it hot, but not to boiling heat. and cooking takes a lot longer than it did with my gas range.
- I guess my question is, is the plug I used to replace the ripped off one, maybe NOT producing enough power to the stove?
- Should I have used some kind of conduit wire, like the kind that are used to install electrical outlets? Or does this have something to do with the stove?
- Ive even cleaned the removable electric coils and the prongs that attach in the housing, which i was hoping would do the trick, but to no avail.
As I said, Ive never owned an electric stove before, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!
This electrical repair question came from: Gilbert, a Homeowner from Adelanto, Ca.
See more about Home Wiring for California
Thanks for your electrical repair question Gilbert.
Avoid House Fires Due to Incorrect Electrical Wiring
- Gilbert, I would highly recommend that you remove the cord setup that you have installed and purchase the correct stove cord right away.
- You have created an extremely dangerous fire potential and safety hazard in your home by installing an incorrectly sized cord and performing an illegal splice.
The Following will assist you with your electrical stove:
- Electrical Code for Conduit Fill
- Electrical Outlets
- Electrical Rewiring
- Wiring Electrical Codes
- Wiring a Oven or Stove
- Troubleshooting Electrical Wiring
- Types of Electrical Testers
- Using Electrical Testers
- Wiring Electrical Outlet for the Home
- Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
- Electrical Wire for the Home
- Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
- Wiring a Kitchen Range Power Cord
- Fully Described Electric Range Installation with a typical 220 Volt electric power cord wiring system. You may find yourself with either a 3-wire or 4-wire electric range. Lets look at how the electric range is wired and what to do if your cord does not match the plug.
- Wiring Options for a Kitchen Oven
- Fully Described Kitchen Electric Oven Installation with a typical 220 Volt electric circuit. You may find yourself with either a 3-wire or 4-wire electric oven. Lets look at how the electric oven is wired and the possible solutions if your circuit does not seem to the same.
For more information about 220 Volt Wiring Diagram
220 Volt Wiring Diagram
- Wiring 220 Volt Electrical Outlet
- Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how electrical outlets for the home are wired.
This link is helpful as a Homeowner
MORE ABOUT THIS TOPIC: Electrical Repairs