Identifying and Repairing Electrical Wiring
How to Identify Junction Box Electrical Wiring. A tester or meter may be used to identify the electrical wiring that may be found in the junction box.
Using a Tester to Identify Electrical Wiring
- I can connect the wires to get power to lights and outlets but the switch no longer works and if I connect one of the wires with the power wire and others it trips the breaker.
- How should this configuration be wired?
This electrical question came from: Joel, a Handyman from Kings Mountain, North Carolina.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Joel.
How to Identify Junction Box Electrical Wiring
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester or Continuity Tester
Estimated Time: Depends on experience and level of problem solving skills.
Precaution: Testing live wires is dangerous and should be done by an experienced individual only. Testing using a continuity tester should only be made after the circuit has been identified and turned OFF and Tagged.
The Process to Identify Electrical Wiring
- All of the wires in the junction box will need to be identified to fully understand how the wiring should be connected.
- It may be found that power is being fed through this junction box to power other light fixtures or outlets.
- The cable leading to the wall switch must be identified for proper connection.
- The wiring is best identified using a continuity tester.
Testing the Wires
A tester or meter may be used to identify the electrical wiring that may be found in the junction box and it is typical to find the following cable pairs in a fixture box:
- The incoming power source of the circuit.
- Outgoing power to other devices of the same circuit.
- Wire pair used for switching.
The Following will assist you with Electrical Wiring
- Electrical Safety and Voltage Testers
- When working on home electrical wiring, quality voltage testers can play an important part in electrical safety. Electrical testers enable you to identify electrical circuits and help prevent the possibility of accidental electrical shock.
- You identified your project to be about Troubleshooting, so you might find this information useful:
Troubleshooting Electrical Wiring
Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.
- For more information about Repairing Electrical Wiring
Repairing Electrical Wiring
Repairing Electrical Wiring
Electrical Splices – Part 1 – Emergency electrical wiring repairs should be made using the right materials for your particular application. Here are a few choices to help you decide what you’ll need.