How to Wire a Switch for a Light Fixture
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
Wiring a Switch From an Existing Ceiling Box: For a project like this, a cable is installed from the ceiling box to the wall switch location as you have stated.
Wiring a Switch for a Light Fixture
- Can I run a new line from a switch to turn the light on and still have power to the other room.
This electrical wiring question came from: Bob, from Silver Lake , New York
See more about Local Electrical Wiring in New York
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Bob.
Wiring a Switch From an Existing Ceiling Box
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and access to the light fixture(s).
Precaution: Identify the light circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional fixture wiring should be done with a permit and be inspected.
For a project like this, a cable is installed from the ceiling box to the wall switch location as you have stated.
The Following will assist you with Wiring a Switch
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
- Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams.
- Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
Electrical Junction Boxes for Home Wiring
- Understanding electrical junction boxes and what they are used for. Home electrical wiring is the process of installing electrical wire to a location that will serve electrical devices or an appliance.
- One very important component is the box where the wire will be installed. The type and size of the home wiring electrical boxes will depend upon the circuit size, application and its location.