How To Wire a New Switch and Ceiling Light
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
How do I wire the new switch using power from the existing power line to turn on and off the new ceiling light? Dave the electrician explains How to Wire a New Switch from an Existing Power Source.
If this is your first visit, be sure to sign up for your Free Electrical Tips and eBook.
Your Comments and Electrical Questions are always welcome.
Wiring a Wall Switch for Light Fixtures
- I have a wall switch that controls an outlet so I can turn it off and on.
- There is a lamp is plugged into the outlet now.
- A 14/2 power line (red, black and ground) goes to the switch now from wall plug.
- I ran a second 14/2 line from the wall switch box to a ceiling box for a light.
This electrical question came from: Dennis, a Handyman from Lewiston, New York.
See more about Home Wiring for New York
Additional Comments: Great web site, very helpful.
Thanks for your electrical question Dennis.
How to Wire a New Ceiling Light and Wall Switch
Application: Wiring for a Light Switch and a New Ceiling Light.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best installed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools.
Precaution: Identify the circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional light fixture and switch wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Wiring a New Ceiling Light and Switch from an Existing Power Source
- From what has been described in this question, it appears that a Neutral Wire is not available at the wall switch.
- The ceiling light fixture requires a neutral for the light to work and your wall switch box does not have a neutral wire available, so additional wiring will be required to obtain the neutral wire from the outlet.
- Complete wiring diagrams can be found by following the information below.
More about Wiring a Switch and Outlet
Home Wiring Diagrams
Home electrical wiring diagrams are an important tool for completing your electrical projects. An electrical wiring diagram can be as simple as a diagram showing how to install a new switch in your hallway, or as complex as the complete electrical blueprint for your new home or home improvement project.
Electrical Outlet Wiring
Wiring Electrical Outlet for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Home Electrical Wire
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
- Electrical Codes for Wiring Lights
- Electrician Explains Home Electrical Wiring Codes including Junction Boxes, Electrical Circuits, Lighting Codes.
Learn How to Wire it Right with my
Complete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Perfect for Homeowners, Students,
Handyman, Handywomen, and Electricians
Wiring GFCI Outlets
Wiring Home Electrical Circuits
120 Volt and 240 Volt Outlet Circuits
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Electric Range
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Dryer Cord and Dryer Outlet
Troubleshooting and Repair Electrical Wiring
Wiring Methods for Upgrading Electrical Wiring
Electrical Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.
» Click here to learn more about Home Electrical Wiring «
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.