How to Wire a Honeywell Thermostat
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
How do I connect the wires for a heater thermostat? Wiring Instruction Heating Thermostat, Typical Thermostat Wiring for Furnace Heating and Air Conditioning.
Wiring Guide for a Honeywell Thermostat
- I bought a Honeywell Heating thermostat. There were no directions about how to wire it.
- How come there were no wires coming out of the back of the thermostat?
- I need to know where to connect the thermostat wires from the wall.
- This is a round thermostat with a dial on it.
This electrical wiring question came from: Pamela, a Handy woman from Brockton, Ma.
Additional Comments: Great!
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Pamela.
Wiring Instructions for a Honeywell Heating Thermostat
Application: Wiring a Honeywell Thermostat.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools.
Precaution: Identify the furnace or air conditioning circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Typical Thermostat Wiring for Furnace Heating and Air Conditioning
- The model number of the Honeywell thermostat was not provided, however here are the typical wiring assignments for a conventional heating system.
- Keep in mind that there should be a low voltage cable in the wall where the thermostat is located which has individual wires as shown in the instructions below.
Terminal Label – Wire Color – Function /Description
- R – Red Wire – 24 Volts.
- B – Blue Wire – Cooling.
- G – Green Wire or Grey Wire * – Fan Blower.
- W – White White – Heating.
Although many home heating and air conditioning systems have a standard type thermostat cable with color coded wires, the wires should be identified to make sure of the exact purpose for each wire.
More about Wiring a Thermostat
- Connecting the Wires on a Thermostat
- Replacing a thermostat can be tricky because of the variety of colors of the electrical wiring used for to control the unit.
More about Thermostat Wiring
- Electrical Wiring for a Honeywell Thermostat
- Electrical Wiring Question Replacing Honeywell t6160 room stat (Mains, 3-wire)with Horstmann DRT2(Battery operated, 2-wire).
More about Replacing Honeywell Thermostat