How to Wire a Honeywell Thermostat
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
Wiring Instruction Guide for a Honeywell Heating Thermostat: Typical Thermostat Wiring for Furnace Heating and Air Conditioning.
If this is your first visit, be sure to sign up for your Free Electrical Tips and eBook.
Your Comments and Electrical Questions are always welcome.
Wiring Guide for a Honeywell Thermostat
- How come there were no wires coming out of the back of the thermostat?
- I need to know where to connect the thermostat wires from the wall.
- This is a round thermostat with a dial on it.
This electrical wiring question came from: Pamela, a Handy woman from Brockton, Ma.
Additional Comments: Great!
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Pamela.
Wiring Instructions for a Honeywell Heating Thermostat
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools.
Precaution: Identify the furnace or air conditioning circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
- The model number of the Honeywell thermostat was not provided, however here are the typical wiring assignments for a conventional heating system.
- Keep in mind that there should be a low voltage cable in the wall where the thermostat is located which has individual wires as shown in the instructions below.
Typical Thermostat Wiring for Furnace Heating and Air Conditioning
Terminal Label – Wire Color – Function /Description
- R – Red Wire – 24 Volts.
- B – Blue Wire – Cooling.
- G – Green Wire or Grey Wire * – Fan Blower.
- W – White White – Heating.
Although many home heating and air conditioning systems have a standard type thermostat cable with color coded wires, the wires should be identified to make sure of the exact purpose for each wire.
More about Home Electrical Projects
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
This link is helpful as a Handy woman
Learn How to Wire it Right with my
Complete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Perfect for Homeowners, Students,
Handyman, Handywomen, and Electricians
Wiring GFCI Outlets
Wiring Home Electrical Circuits
120 Volt and 240 Volt Outlet Circuits
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Electric Range
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Dryer Cord and Dryer Outlet
Troubleshooting and Repair Electrical Wiring
Wiring Methods for Upgrading Electrical Wiring
Electrical Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.
» Click here to learn more about Home Electrical Wiring «
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.