How to Wire a Fluorescent Light Fixture in a Garage
By Dave Rongey - Summary:
How to Install Wiring for a Light Fixture: When installing fluorescent lighting for a garage that will be finished with sheet rock a NM Cable or Romex may be installed to the location where the light fixture will be installed after the sheet rock is finished and painted
Garage Fluorescent Light Fixture
This electrical wiring question came from Jeff, in Coleman, Wisconsin.
Dave the Electrician’s Answer:
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Jeff.
Installing Type NM Electrical Wiring for a Garage Fluorescent Fixture
Application: Electrical Wiring for Lighting Fixtures.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best installed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor or Certified Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a Voltage Tester, additional tools for the specific branch circuit wiring method.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and work with the circuit wiring.
Precaution: Identify the power source circuit at the panel, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Modifying or installing additional electrical wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
How to Install Wiring for a Light Fixture
- When installing fluorescent lighting for a garage that will be finished with sheet rock a NM Cable may be installed to the location where the light fixture will be installed after the sheet rock is finished and painted.
- An approved cable connector is installed at the entry point to the light fixture.
- When a fluorescent light fixture is installed onto a sheet rock ceiling an additional space is not required between the light fixture and the sheet rock if the sheet rock has the appropriate fire rating for the garage.
- The area of the light fixture where the ballast and internal wiring is located may be used as the connection point for the single cable entering the light fixture.
- Installing a junction box onto the ceiling joist or framing directly above the light fixture is always best especially when one or more cables are being installed to the location, and then an insulated bushing is installed into the light fixture knock out which will protect wiring leading from the junction box and into the light fixture.
- The ground wire of the electrical circuit must be fastened to the metal frame of the light fixture using the provided grounding screw.
Many home fires begin in the garage and then spread into the main area of the home. Specific building codes have been adopted to help contain the garage area from the main area of the home by installing fire rated materials such as sheet rock and doors that are designed to contain the spread of fire for a specific time period. This is why it is vitally important that all levels of construction work is done with a building permit and all phases being inspected.
More about Light Fixture Wiring
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Electrical Junction Boxes for Home Wiring
Understanding electrical junction boxes and what they are used for. Home electrical wiring is the process of installing electrical wire to a location that will serve electrical devices or an appliance. One very important component is the box where the wire will be installed. The type and size of the home wiring electrical boxes will depend upon the circuit size, application and its location.
Garage Electrical Wiring
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Garage Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
Basic Home Wiring Diagrams
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.
MORE ABOUT THIS TOPIC: