How To Wire 3-Way Switches
How to Wire Your 3-Way Switches: I have a stairwell with two three-way switches that have never worked correctly.
How to Wire Your 3-Way Switches
I have a stairwell with two three-way switches that have never worked correctly.
- I have unhooked all wires, but there seems to be no proper way to hook everything back up to make the fixture work.
- The area has been completely dry walled in for 20 years, but the diagram shows what I can see. The two switches appear to be connected by a 3-wire plus ground cable. When nothing is hooked up, there is power in the 2-wire plus ground cable on the upstairs switch.
- There is only the single 3-wire plus ground in the downstairs switch box, and only two 2-wire plus ground cables at the fixture.
- Originally, the upstairs switch controlled the fixture and the downstairs switch controlled the fixture only when the upstairs switch was on.
- I just need to get the fixture working again; a properly functioning 3 way switch would be an added bonus.
This electrical question came from: Ken, a Homeowner from Toronto, Ontario
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
For more information about Electrical Wiring
Home electrical wiring projects with pictures and wiring diagrams.
|« Existing Light and Outlet Wiring||Electrical Code for New Construction and Ground Rods »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.