How To Safely Rewire a Light Fixture
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
Tips for Rewiring Light Fixtures – Use the correct gauge wire that is UL Approved Lamp Cord. Make sure the polarity of the wire is correct, smooth side is hot, line side is neutral.
Rules For Safely Rewiring Light Fixtures
- When we first wired it the connection wasn’t going to the light bulbs
- Then it blew the fuse and we rewired it and then it was smoking.
Can you please advise us what to do.
This electrical repair question came from: christen, a Tenant from Miami, FL
Thanks for your electrical repair question Christen.
Christen – Holy Smokes! You really need to be careful when rewiring a light fixture.
Tips for Rewiring Light Fixtures
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and access to the light fixture(s).
Precaution: Identify the light fixture circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
- Use the correct gauge wire that is UL Approved Lamp Cord.
- Make sure the polarity of the wire is correct, smooth side is hot, line side is neutral.
- Wring that is being installed through metal parts can get damaged due to small space, sharp areas and the soft wire insulation.
- Install a ground wire and bond it to the metal assembly areas.
- If in doubt take it to a light fixture shop or have an electrician rewire it for you.
The Following will assist you with your electrical question:
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Home Electrical Safety
A new approach to keep kids and electricity apart with hopes to prevent children from being injured by electricity.