Filed under: Electrical Wiring » Feedback, Comments or Questions «
|« Installing a 220 Volt Oven Circuit||Bathroom Remodeling and Electrical Wiring »|
How to Rewire a Problem GFCI Outlet Circuit
©Copyright Dave Rongey - Summary:
Methods for Rewiring a GFCI Outlet Circuit: Ground Fault Circuit Protection for One or More Outlets, Wiring the LINE and LOAD Side of the GFCI, GFCI and GFI Wiring Diagrams.
Wiring a GFI Outlet Circuit
Electrical Question: I have a GFCI outlet in the garage that serves four outlets.
- It gets tripped every time it rains because the 1st downstream outlet is outdoors, vulnerable to rain, and not well sealed because of brick and mortar issues.
- I am trying to resolve these issues, but also want to install a GFCI at this outdoor outlet.
- I want this new GFCI to control only itself, nothing downstream.
- If I supply power to downstream 2,3,4 outlets from the line side of my new outdoor GFCI instead of the load side, will the original GFCI that is upstream still protect #2, 3, 4?
This electrical wiring question came from: Denny, from Rowlett, Texas.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Denny.
Methods for Rewiring a GFCI Outlet Circuit
- Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
- Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
- Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the number of outlets that will be replaced.
- Precaution: Identify the GFCI outlet circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
- Notice: Installing additional GFCI Circuit wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Ground Fault Circuit Protection for One or More Outlets
- GFCI Protection for One Outlet
The electrical wiring for a GFI outlet circuit may be rewired to prevent problem tripping once you understand the method of the circuit wiring as described in the links below.
- Wiring a GFCI to Protect Other Outlets
GFCI outlets may be wired so they only provide protection for one outlet or several outlets.
- Wiring the LINE and LOAD Side of the GFCI
The correct wiring adjustments may be made once the LINE or power source has been identified then the proper LINE and LOAD wiring configurations mat be made.
When rewiring any ground fault protected devices it is important to maintain GFCI protection at the required locations.
More about Wiring Methods for GFCI Outlet Receptacles
Wiring GFI Outlets
GFCI and GFI Wiring Diagrams
The features and benefits of GFCI outlets and receptacles will give you a clear understanding of the importance why these safety devices are required by code to help protect you and your family against accidental electrical shock hazards.
This list of articles will help you learn about the features and benefits provided by GFI and GFCI Receptacles and how they are wired.
Wiring Electrical Outlets for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Garage Electrical Wiring
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Garage Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
Learn How to Wire it Right with my
Complete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Perfect for Homeowners, Students,
Handyman, Handywomen, and Electricians
Wiring GFCI Outlets
Wiring Home Electrical Circuits
120 Volt and 240 Volt Outlet Circuits
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Electric Range
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Dryer Cord and Dryer Outlet
Troubleshooting and Repair Electrical Wiring
Wiring Methods for Upgrading Electrical Wiring
Electrical Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.
» Click here to learn more about Home Electrical Wiring «
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.