How to Rewire a Problem GFCI Outlet Circuit
By Dave Rongey - Summary:
How should I rewire an outlet circuit where multiple outlets will be protected by more than one GFCI? GFCI Protection for One or More Outlets, GFCI Wiring Diagrams.
Wiring a GFCI Outlet Circuit
- I have a tripping GFCI outlet that serves other outlets.
- There is a GFCI outlet in the garage that serves four outlets.
- The circuit trips every time it rains because the first outlet is outdoor where it is vulnerable to rain, and it is not well sealed because of brick and mortar issues.
- I am trying to resolve these issues, but I also want to install a GFCI at this outdoor outlet.
- I want this new GFCI to control only itself, nothing downstream.
- If I supply power to additional outlets from the line side of my new outdoor GFCI instead of the load side will the first GFCI outlet protect the additional outlets?
This electrical wiring question came from: Denny, from Rowlett, Texas.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Denny.
Methods for Rewiring a GFCI Outlet Circuit
Application: Rewiring a GFCI Outlet.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the number of outlets that will be replaced.
Precaution: Identify the GFCI outlet circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional GFCI Circuit wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Ground Fault Circuit Protection for One or More Outlets
- GFCI Protection for One Outlet
- The electrical wiring for a GFI outlet circuit may be rewired to prevent problem tripping once you understand the method of the circuit wiring as described in the links below.
- Wiring a GFCI to Protect Other Outlets
- GFCI outlets may be wired so they only provide protection for one outlet or several outlets.
- Wiring the LINE and LOAD Side of the GFCI
- The correct wiring adjustments may be made once the LINE or power source has been identified then the proper LINE and LOAD wiring configurations mat be made.
When rewiring any ground fault protected devices it is important to maintain GFCI protection at the required locations.
More about Wiring Methods for GFCI Outlet Receptacles
Wiring GFI Outlets
GFCI and GFI Wiring Diagrams
The features and benefits of GFCI outlets and receptacles will give you a clear understanding of the importance why these safety devices are required by code to help protect you and your family against accidental electrical shock hazards.
This list of articles will help you learn about the features and benefits provided by GFI and GFCI Receptacles and how they are wired.
Wiring Electrical Outlets for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Garage Electrical Wiring
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Garage Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.
MORE ABOUT THIS TOPIC: