How to Reset an Electric Circuit Breaker
How To Reset an Electric Circuit Breaker: Do I need to call an electrician or is there something I can check as a homeowner?
Reset a Circuit Breaker
Electrical Question: How do I reset a tripped circuit breaker?
- I have a GFCI outlet on the outside of my house that stopped working when I plugged in a table saw.
- It already had a waterfall pump. Nothing in the breaker box had any effect (though not well marked).
- Replaced the outlet with test and reset buttons (previous did not have these) and still have no power.
- Do I need to call an electrician or is there something I can check as a homeowner.
This electrical troubleshooting question came from: Chris, from Colorado Springs, Colorado.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Chris.
Electrical Troubleshooting a Tripped Circuit Breaker
Circuit Protection for a GFCI Outlet
Chris, the GFCI outlet provides ground fault protection for the outlet, however the GFCI circuit has over current protection which is provided by the circuit breaker back at the panel.
Here’s an Example:
How To Reset an Electric Circuit Breaker
- My recommendation is to check all of the circuit breakers at the electrical panel and look for one that may be in the tripped position.
- Sometimes when a breaker is tripped off it still appears to be in the ON position, so if it is convenient, switch all of the circuit breakers associated with this type of circuit all the way OFF and then all the way back ON.
NOTE: A Circuit Breaker May Be Tripped OFF and Appear To Be ON, therefore it is best to switch the breaker OFF, and then back on to make sure it it fully reset.
More about Circuit Breakers
- Electrical Circuit Breakers
Home Electrical Circuit Breakers
- A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
Browse other questions about this topic:
Electrical Troubleshooting GFCI Outlet Lost Power Circuit Breaker, Colorado, electrical question, gfci outlet, how to electrical, reset circuit breaker, reset the breaker, tripped circuit breaker
Or Ask Dave a Question
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.