How To Repair Your Light Fixtures
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
Susan from Illinois asks: How Can I Fix a Light Fixture that Stopped Working? Electrical Tips for Repairing Light Fixtures, Troubleshooting Methods used to solve problems with Lights and Switches.
Light Fixture Stopped Working
- I have a laundry room in my basement that has two light fixtures and several outlets.
- Recently the light fixtures in this room stopped working.
- All of the outlets still work. I checked the bulbs, replaced the single pole switch and replaced both light fixtures.
- The circuit box for the house is also in this room.
- When I replaced the switch I installed a lighted switch and it does not light up. Any ideas what I can do to fix this?
- I’m handy, but I don’t want to do anything above my pay grade, if you know what I mean.
Thanks for any guidance.
This electrical wiring question came from: Susan, a Homeowner from Illinois.
Thanks for your electrical question Susan.
Repairing Home Electric Light Fixtures
Application: Wiring Lighting Fixtures and Switches.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best installed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor or Certified Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a Voltage Tester, additional tools for the specific branch circuit wiring method.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and work with the circuit wiring.
Precaution: Identify the power source circuit at the panel, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Modifying or installing additional electrical wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected
Tips for Repairing Light Fixtures that Stopped Working
- Susan, you state that you replaced the switch with a lighted switch and the lighted switch does not light up so I would check to see if you actually have power to the switch.
- Make sure the lighted switch has the required circuit wires and the connections are made according to the installation instructions.
More about Troubleshooting and Repairing Light Switch Wiring
Troubleshooting Methods used to solve problems with Lights and Switches.
Electrical Outlet Wiring
Wiring Electrical Outlet for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
- Electric Circuit Listing
- The size of the home electrical service panel is designed by calculating the square footage of the home and factoring in the code requirements for the electrical circuits that are required.
- Laundry Room Electrical Wiring
- Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Laundry Room Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
- Basement Electrical Wiring
- Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Basement Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
For more information about Lost Power
Lost Electrical Power
- Lost Power
- Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.