How to Repair a Tripping GFCI Outlet
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
Why a GFCI Outlet Trips Off and What to Look For: The outlet is a GFCI outlet and it keeps tripping, about once a week.
Causes of GFCI Outlet Tripping
- It has a refrigerator plugged into it, but nothing else that runs constantly.
- I replaced the 15A GFCI outlet with a 20A GFCI outlet, but it still trips, about once a week.
- I also noticed recently that the patio outlet(not GFCI) works sporadically.
- When I first noticed it wasn’t working, I disconnected it and reconnected it securely.
- It started working, but stopped the next day. Is it possible that the outside outlet is causing the garage outlet to trip somehow? If so, is it possible that replacing the patio outlet would fix the problem?
Thanks for your help.
This electrical question came from: Michael, from McKinney, Texas.
Thanks for your electrical question Michael
Why a GFCI Outlet Trips Off
Application: Testing GFCI Outlet and Circuit Wiring.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools a Voltage Tester or Plug-In Circuit Analyzer.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools, the extent of the electrical repairs, the number of outlets that are affected and access to each location.
Precaution: Identify the GFCI outlet circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
- A GFCI will trip off if voltage form a fault is detected flowing to a grounded source.
- Small amounts of electrical current may leak to ground if the GFCI outlet and circuit components are not protected and they become wet due to a non-weather proof cover or box.
- The GFCI circuitry is sensitive and at times may trip off when appliances such as a refrigerator or freezer are plugged into them.
- A GFCI outlet may wear out over time and need to be replaced as well.
Wiring Electrical Outlets for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
GFCI and GFI Wiring Diagrams
The features and benefits of GFCI outlets and receptacles will give you a clear understanding of the importance why these safety devices are required by code to help protect you and your family against accidental electrical shock hazards.
Garage Electrical Wiring
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Garage Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.