How to Repair a Light Switch Circuit
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
How to Locate and Repair Faulty Electrical Wiring for Lighting: Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems
Locating and Repairing Faulty Electrical Wiring
- I checked the GFI box and none were tripped, I even reset all applicable ones.
- I checked the circuit between the switches with a current tester and neither light switch was getting a signal.
- Two of the switches that controlled the fan had a strong signal but one of them gave a very weak signal. All electrical outlets in each of the room are fully functional.
- There must be a fuse between all three light switches that has blown and I don’t have a clue where to find it.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
This electrical wiring question came from: Robert, from North Las Vegas, Nevada.
Thanks for your electrical question Robert.
Repairing Faulty Light Circuit Wiring
Application: Troubleshooting and Testing Light Switch Circuit Wiring.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced, best repaired by a Licensed Local Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester or Continuity Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on experience and level of problem solving skills.
Precaution: Testing live wires is dangerous and should be done by an experienced individual only. Testing using a continuity tester should only be made after the circuit has been identified and turned OFF and Tagged.
Several Light Switches Do Not Work
- From what has been described I don’t believe you will find a fuse problem, however I do believe there is a problem with an electrical splice or connection which is commonly found either in the switch box or in a fixture box where the power my be spliced through leading to the affected areas.
- The electrical wiring and splices in the switch box should be inspected for burnt and damaged electrical wiring.
- Necessary electrical repairs and replacing affected wiring must be made to ensure proper connections and circuit integrity.
More about Troubleshooting Electrical Wiring Problems
Troubleshooting and Repairing Electrical Wiring
Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.
How to Wire a Switch
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
Electrical Circuit Wiring
This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
Understanding Electrical Testers
When working on home electrical wiring using voltage testers can play an important part in electrical safety. Electrical testers enable you to identify electrical circuits and help prevent the possibility of accidental electrical shock.
Types of Electrical Testers
MORE ABOUT THIS TOPIC: Electrical Repair, Electrical Troubleshooting, Electrical Wiring