How to Repair a Kitchen GFCI Circuit
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
Why are the outlets in my kitchen out and the GFCI outlet with a light is glowing? Guide to Kitchen GFI Outlet Circuit Problems and How to Fix Them, GFI Outlet Troubleshooting and Electrical Repairs.
Kitchen GFCI Outlet Problem
- Yesterday I came home to one circuit of outlets in my kitchen out and the GFCI outlet with a light was glowing.
- The breaker is not tripped. I unplugged everything from each outlet on the circuit and tried each on another circuit, there are no problems.
- When I press the Test button and then the Reset button the outlets work for about 10 minutes and then pop the outlet again with nothing plugged in any outlet.
- The house is 14 years old, this is the only electrical issue anywhere.
- Should I just replace the outlet? I know that I should turn off the kitchen circuit breaker and have done wiring in the past.
This home electrical wiring question came from: Liz, in Springfield, Tennessee.
See more about Home Wiring for Tennessee
Thanks for your Electrical Wiring question Liz.
Guide to Kitchen GFCI Circuit Problems and How to Fix Them
Application: GFCI Outlet Problem
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the number of outlets that will be replaced.
Precaution: Identify the Kitchen GFI outlet circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Replace the GFCI Outlet with the same amperage rating and rewire the new GFI Outlet using the same wiring configuration paying close attention to the LINE and LOAD wiring configurations. Test the GFI outlet and other outlets on the same circuit to make sure the GFI is performing correctly. Testing other outlets to trip the GFI can be done using an analog or induction tester with one lead in the power slot and the other in the ground slot.
GFCI Outlet Troubleshooting and Electrical Repairs
- GFCI Outlet
- With an older home it is common that the original GFCI Outlets may become faulty, however if there is a time delay before the GFCI trips off then there may be other factors to consider.
- GFCI Circuit
- When the weather has been cold, wet or damp then there is a possibility that the GFCI Outlet circuit may feed additional outlets which may be affected by moisture.
- GFCI Indicator Light
- Locate as many outlets as possible that are off when the GFCI outlet trips off and the indicator light is on, and notice if the outlets show any sign of moisture and remedy the condition.
- Problem GFCI
- If a moisture condition has not been identified then the GFCI outlet should be replaced.
More about Kitchen GFCI Outlets
GFCI and GFI Wiring Diagrams
The features and benefits of GFCI outlets and receptacles will give you a clear understanding of the importance why these safety devices are required by code to help protect you and your family against accidental electrical shock hazards.
This list of articles will help you learn about the features and benefits provided by GFI and GFCI Receptacles and how they are wired.
Wiring Electrical Outlets for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Electrical Circuit Wiring
This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
Home Electrical Panel Circuit Listing
Understanding Electrical Testers
When working on home electrical wiring using voltage testers can play an important part in electrical safety. Electrical testers enable you to identify electrical circuits and help prevent the possibility of accidental electrical shock.
Types of Electrical Testers
MORE ABOUT THIS TOPIC: Electrical Repair, GFCI