How to Repair a Defy 521 Electric Stove
Repairing a Defy 521 Stove Control Problem: The Most Common Problems with a Defy Electric Stove Control and How to Repair Them.
Defy 521 Stove Repair
- Defy 521 Stove Problem
- When I switch the Defy on the power light on the stove power supply 50amp switch goes off. When I switch stove off the light goes back ON again.
- If I turn any of the stove switches just a fraction and hold it there the stove plate light shines and the power supply switch burns brighter.
- The circuit breaker on the DB distribution box remains on all the time does not trip.
- What do you think is wrong?
Adam of Durban, South Africa asks How to Repair a Defy Stove
This electrical wiring question came from: Adam located in Durban, South Africa.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Adam.
Troubleshooting a Defy 521 Stove Control Problem
Application: Replacing the Control Switch for a Defy 521 Electric Stove.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a qualified trained appliance technician or factory representative.
Consult the Manufacturer or Authorized Representative: Repairs and modifications may result in a voided warranty.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and connect the 240 volt control and wiring.
Precaution: Identify the Defy Stove circuit at the DB Distribution Box electric panel, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Wiring a 220 volt electric stove and making the electrical connections should be done according to local and national electrical codes and using approved materials.
Defy Stove Control Switch Problems
Problems with a Defy Electric Stove Control and How to Repair Them
The following is an example of How to Troubleshoot and Repair a Defy Stove Problem.
IMPORTANT: Make sure the circuit power has been turned off before performing any inspections or servicing.
- Defy Control is Not Working
- When the control is turned into the ON position the power light does not go on.
- The stove plates or burners are not working or not heating normally.
- Common Problems with a Defy Stove Control
- Wires attached to the control may become loose and cause the connection terminals to become burnt.
- Look for discolored or burnt wire connections to the control.
- Contacts inside the control may become worn out preventing the flow of circuit power.
- Repairing Burnt Wires of a Defy Stove
- Remove the burnt portion of damaged wiring.
- Obtain the compatible terminal connector(s) and attach to the affected wires.
- Replace the wires to the original locations of the stove control.
- Note: If the wiring has been cut too short, then additional lengths of the same type wire will be required.
- Replacing a Defy Stove Control
- If the stove control has become damaged by burnt external wiring connections, or the internal contacts are worn out, then a new specific replacement stove control may be required.
- IMPORTANT: Take notes of the original wiring attachments and configurations before removing the original wires.
- Remove the existing control and replace it with a new specific control that is compatible with the defy stove.
SUMMARY: When carefully diagnosed and repaired the Defy 521 stove will continue to provide reliable service for you and your family.
More about Electrical Wiring for a Stove
New Range Electrical Outlet
Electrician Explains the Circuit Requirements for a New Electric Range Outlet
Wiring a Range Power Cord
How to Wire a Kitchen Range Power Cord for 3-Wire and 4-Wire Cords with Step-By-Step Pictures and Easy Wiring Diagrams.
Electrical Troubleshooting: Troubleshooting stove turns on lights
Electrician Explains Troubleshooting stove turns on lights.
Wiring a Kitchen Range Power Cord
Fully Described Electric Range Installation with a typical 220 Volt electric power cord wiring system. You may find yourself with either a 3-wire or 4-wire electric range. Lets look at how the electric range is wired and what to do if your cord does not match the plug.