How to Remove a Light Fixture and add a Ceiling Fan
Electrical Wiring for a Ceiling Fan: You may want to consider installing a remote control unit, which would prevent having to add any additional wiring, but still provide separate control capabilities.
Adding Electrical Wiring for a Ceiling Fan
- Can I run a separate wire for my light in the same conduit as the wire for my fan without replacing the original three wire (hot, neutral, ground) to a four wire combination?
This electrical wiring question came from: Ken, a Homeowner from El Dorado Hills, CA
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Ken.
Electrical Wiring for a Ceiling Fan
- Yes, an additional wire may be fished into the exiting conduit, or you may use one of the existing wires to pull in two new wires, one as a replacement, and the new wire as described.
- Be sure to turn the circuit off before pulling wires into the conduit.
- You may want to consider installing a remote control unit, which would prevent having to add any additional wiring, but still provide separate control capabilities.
- Be aware that the original light fixture box may not have been approved for a ceiling fan, therefore one may be required.
The Following links will assist you with your Ceiling Fan
How to Install Ceiling Fans and Wiring
Step-by-step pictures – Easy wiring diagrams and installation guide – Light and fan switch variations.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.