How to Make Safe Home Made Light Fixtures
Making Home made Light Fixtures: Is it safe to use 18 gauge lamp cord for a home made light fixture?
Make Safe and Creative Home Made Light Fixtures
- I have built a regular 60 watt house lamp out of driftwood.
- The driftwood sits in a concrete rock where two junction boxes hold all the connections that then run straight up inside the driftwood to the light switch at the top.
- Is it safe to run 18 gauge lamp cord through wood like this as long as there are no connections between the junction box and the light?
This electrical wiring question came from: Roy, a Handyman from Seattle, Washington.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Roy.
Making Home made Light Fixtures
Application: Light Fixture Wiring.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Hand Tools and Safe Ladder.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal experience, the light fixture and access to the light fixture.
Precaution: Identify the light fixture circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Replacement parts for the light fixture should be compatible with the type of lamps that have been installed.
Wiring a DIY Light Fixture
- Roy, as long as you are using UL Approved Lamp Cord and the cord will be protected then this should not be a problem.
- Make sure the light bulb is a safe distance away from any flammable materials such as the dry drift wood. Other than that this sounds like a really great idea – send a picture so we can all see it, Thanks!
More about Light Fixtures
Planning and Installing Home Lighting
Home lighting articles covering recessed lighting, under cabinet lighting, lighting terminology and more.
Home Electrical Codes
Electrical Code Directory covering electrical-wiring, lighting-codes.