How to Install Ceiling Fans and Remote Control Wiring
How do I wire a universal remote control for my ceiling fan? Installing a Ceiling Fan and Remote Control Module, Wiring diagrams and installation guide for Light and fan switch variations.
Hunter Ceiling Fan and Remote Control Module
Ceiling Fan Question: How do I wire a universal remote control for my ceiling fan?
- I purchased a hunter ceiling fan with a light kit and remote control. It was a display item.
- I had to get a universal remote with receiver as the original one was not included.
- I don’t know how to connect the wires to my ceiling fan universal remote control.
- From the fan there is a pink, yellow, red, gray,black and white wires.
- On my new universal remote there are two white and two black and a red.
- The instructions for the remote says that the red is for the light, one of the black is fan, one of the white is common, the other white is neutral and the other black is hot. I don’t know how they are to be connected.
The Hunter Fan Model Number is 21871 and the Universal Remote unit is for Hunter Fans. I purchased them both at home depot.
This electrical question came from: Mary, a Homeowner from Sherwood AR.
Additional Comments: I found your information to be very informative.
Thanks for your electrical question Mary.
Wiring a Hunter Ceiling Fan and Remote Control Module
Application: Wiring a Ceiling Fan Remote Control.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best if wired by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools.
Precaution: Identify the light circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Materials: Make sure the remote control unit is fully compatible with the ceiling fan you have and the size of the lamps that will be installed in the fixture.
Wiring the Hunter Ceiling Fan Model Number 21871
The wiring designations for this Hunter Ceiling fan are as follows:
- The pink wire and the yellow wire connect to the primary coil of the fan motor.
- The red wire and the gray wire connect to the fan motor starting coil.
- The blue wire is for the fan light power.
- The white wire is for the fan light neutral.
The wiring designations for the Universal Remote are as follows:
- The red wire is for the fan light.
- The black wire is for the fan motor.
- The white common wire is the common for the white wire of the fan and the light.
- The black wire is for the incoming power line.
- The white neutral wire is for the incoming neutral wire.
More about Wiring Ceiling Fans and Remote Controls
How to Install Ceiling Fans
Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
- All about Ceiling Fan Remote Controls
- Ceiling fan remote controls can be extremely useful, especially when it comes to controlling the lighting separately from the fan speed.
More about All About Ceiling Fan Remote Controls
|« Ceiling Fan Wiring and Connections||Why Is My Bathroom Light Fixture Not Working? »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
See more about Electrical Wiring in Your Local Area