How to Install and Wire a Baseboard Heater
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
How to Wire a Baseboard Heater: Wiring Connections for a Baseboard Heater Thermostat, Thermostat Mounted on the Wall Heater Unit, Remote Thermostats or Wall Mounted Thermostats.
Wiring a Baseboard Heater Thermostat
I have a HHBT-2 thermostat that is for a 220 volt baseboard heater.
I need to know what black and white wires connect to the source and the black and red wires that connect to the heater.
This electrical wiring question came from: Guy, in Champaign, Illinois.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question and the great photo of your 220 volt baseboard heater thermostat Guy.
How to Wire a Baseboard Heater
Application: Wiring a baseboard heater and thermostat.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best performed by a licensed electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools.
Precaution: Identify the heater circuit turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the thermostat wiring.
Troubleshooting and Testing: Most thermostats may be tested using a Volt/Ohm Meter with the circuit power OFF.
Notice: When replacing a thermostat be sure to get the same exact type.
Wiring Connections for a Baseboard Heater Thermostat
Example: Electrical Wiring a Baseboard Heater Thermostat
Thermostat Mounted on the Wall Heater Unit
- A 220 volt baseboard heater requires a dedicated circuit sized specifically for the heater that will be installed.
- Typically the baseboard heater circuit wire will be provided by installing a 2-wire cable with a ground, and the colors of the insulated wires will be black and white, and the white wire of a 220 volt circuit is typically colored red.
- As shown here, a 220 volt baseboard heater thermostat has two pairs of wires that are black and red as well.
- One pair is the LINE side of the thermostat and the other pair is the LOAD side.
- The electrical circuit wiring from the panel connect to the LINE.
- The remaining pair of wires of the LOAD side attach to the baseboard heater lead wires which are directly connected to the heating element of the baseboard unit.
Remote Thermostats or Wall Mounted Thermostats
- Some baseboard heaters will have a thermostat mounted on the wall instead of the wall heater.
- The wiring for a wall stat is basically the same except the circuit cable may be installed to the thermostat location and then an additional cable of the same type and size is installed to the location of the baseboard heater unit.
More about Wiring a Baseboard Heater
Installing a Baseboard Heater Circuit: Wiring a baseboard heater thermostat and electric panel circuit then wiring connections for the installed baseboard wall heater. Instructions for converting baseboard heating radiant heating.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Wiring 220 Volt Electrical Outlet
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how electrical outlets for the home are wired.