How to Install a Plug Strip for Desk or Workbench Outlets
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
Installing an Outlet Plug Strip: Plug strips are a great solution when several outlets are required for a desk or workbench.
Electrical Outlets for a Desk or Workbench
- The desk will also have my aquarium that has both lighting fixtures and electric filter equipment.
- I want to install receptacle outlets into the desk where all the electrical plugs can connect.
- I am currently renting my house so I do not have the option of running wires from the circuit breaker all the way to the desk.
- Is there a legal and electrical code compliant way of installing these receptacles into the desk and drawing power from a separate receptacle mounted in the wall?
This home Electrical Wiring Question came from: Jonas, from Blacksburg, Virginia.
See more about Home Wiring for Virginia
Thanks for your Electrical Wiring Question Jonas.
Installing an Outlet Plug Strip
Application: Wiring Utility Cords and Electric Plug Strips.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools.
Precaution: Never wire cord connections when the cord is plugged into the receptacle outlet.
Notice: Electrical projects and wiring connections should be done according to local and national electrical codes.
How to Wire a Plug Strip
- Plug Strip Options Plug strips are available in lengths of 3 feet to 10 feet long and contain several receptacle outlets which are evenly spaced in a metal strip which encloses the wiring and the receptacle outlets .These plug strips typically come prewired with #12 wires enabling a connection or circuit of up to 20 amps.
- Connecting Multiple Plug Strips Sections of plug strips may be fastened together for longer lengths, or a length may be cut shorter depending on the application. These plug strips are great for fastening under a desk or on a garage workbench.
- Installing the Plug Strip When installing make sure to keep in mind where the cords for the devices will be hanging to create a safe working environment. End connectors will enable the plug strips to have junction boxes or cords attached to them.
- Circuit Protection If GFCI or surge protection is desired then the plug strip may be connected or wired appropriately to incorporate these devices. Plugs strips are typically available in 4, 6 and 8 foot lengths and a few different colors.
- Where to Get a Plug Strip The concept of plug strips are the same as track lights, and are available from the same electrical companies, local hardware store, or construction supplier.
More about Electrical Wiring for Outlets
Wiring Electrical Outlets for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Electrical Circuit Wiring
This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
Home Electrical Circuit Breakers
Home Electrical Circuit Breakers
A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
Electrical Code Articles for Home Wiring
Electrical Code Directory covering electrical codes for outlets, and GFCI receptacles.