How to Identify Electrical Problems
Why did my lights and outlets stop working? Identifying Electrical Wiring Problems when lights and outlets are not working.
Electrical Question: Why did my lights and outlets stop working?
For about 3 months the lights in my bathroom did not work then they did work for about a month.
- During this time the outlets worked fine and were not affected.
- Now the lights and outlets are not working in the attached bedroom and the lights are out again in the bathroom, but the bathroom outlets are still working.
- I checked circuit breaker and it was fine.
- I Checked power in the wires at the light switches and there was no indication that the wires had power.
This electrical question came from: Debi, a Homeowner from Richland, Washington.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Debi.
Application: Troubleshooting an Outlet Circuit.
Skill Level: Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, Voltage Tester or Volt Ohm Meter.
Estimated Time: Depends on the type and age of the electrical wiring and the access to the circuits and wiring to be evaluated.
Precaution: This is a project that should be performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor and typically requires specific tests of the electrical circuits.
Notice: Repairs to Home Electrical Wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes and installing new or replacement electrical parts or equipment may require a permit and inspections.
Electrical Wiring Problems
Electrical Problems that Require Immediate Attention
- Debi, this electrical problem is a potentially dangerous condition which requires immediate attention of a Certified Electrician. Please contact a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
- The problem may be with one of the electrical circuits or could be a problem at the panel. I do not advise homeowners to perform any work in the electrical panel, especially when there is a circuit failure which is best identified and repaired by an experienced electrician.
More about Troubleshooting and Electrical Wiring
Troubleshooting Electrical Wiring Problems
- This Process of Electrical Troubleshooting will help Identify Most Electrical Wiring Problems.
- The Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.
Wiring Electrical Outlet for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Electric Circuit Listing
The size of the home electrical service panel is designed by calculating the square footage of the home and factoring in the code requirements for the electrical circuits that are required.
Bedroom Electrical Wiring Requirements
This wiring diagram and pictures explain the basic bedroom electrical code wiring requirements required for most new or remodel projects.
Bathroom electrical wiring
Bathroom Electrical Wiring Requirements
This wiring diagram and pictures explain the basic bathroom electrical code wiring requirements required for most new or remodel projects. Give your bathroom a face lift when you enhance the electrical devices that will bring out the best in you. Make your eyes sparkle with get a breath of fresh air when you install one of these smart upgrades.
|« Estimating The Cost To Install A Home Generator||How to Repair Water Damaged Electrical Equipment »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
See more about Electrical Wiring in Your Local Area