How To Identify Ceiling Fan Wiring
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
How to Wire a Ceiling Fan and Light Fixture: Some ceiling fan electrical boxes have more than one set of electrical wires which may need to be identified in order to get the correct wiring configuration.
Identify The Ceiling Fan Wiring Configuration
- We ordered the part for the fan and it works, but now the light does not work.
- We had to take the fan completely down and I’m afraid we didn’t connect the wiring properly when we put it back up.
- We have 2 “power” wires coming from the ceiling plus a ground.
- How do we connect them to the fan/light?
This ceiling fan question came from: Jennifer, a Homeowner from New Iberia, LA
Thanks for your ceiling fan question Jennifer.
How to Wire a Ceiling Fan and Light Fixture
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and access to the ceiling fan.
Precaution: Identify the ceiling fan circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Some ceiling fan electrical boxes have more than one set of electrical wires which may need to be identified in order to get the correct wiring configuration.
- The wires for the ceiling fan are best identified by carefully using a voltage tester.
- Test each wire of the ceiling box to the ground wire to identify which is the hot, the the other should be the neutral.
The Following will assist you with your electrical question:
Wiring ceiling fans
How to Install Ceiling Fans
Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
Using Electrical Testers
Electrical Safety and Voltage Testers
When working on home electrical wiring, quality voltage testers can play an important part in electrical safety. Electrical testers enable you to identify electrical circuits and help prevent the possibility of accidental electrical shock.
MORE ABOUT THIS TOPIC: Ceiling Fans, Electrical Wiring, Wiring Configurations