How to Ground a Portable Generator and Make a Power Box
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
How do I make an extension cord to extend the power from my generator out to a work area? How to Extend the Power of a Portable Generator.
Making a Receptacle Power Source from a Portable Generator
- I have a 3 wire 240Volt outlet from a portable generator.
- I am making and extension cord to extend the 240Volt out to the work area.
- Can I also make a 120Volt outlet from this wiring configuration?
- Grounding the Portable Generator
Note that the generator is on a truck and ground strapped to the frame of the truck.
This electrical wiring question came from Chuck, in Phoenix, Arizona.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Chuck.
How to Extend the Power of a Portable Generator
Wiring Configurations for Portable Generators
- 3Wire Generator Plug
The generator that has been described has a 3-wire outlet, which does not have a separate neutral, so you could not create a 120 volt outlet.
- 4Wire Generator Plug
If there were a 4-wire outlet then there would be the potential for 120/240 volts.
- 120 Volt Portable Power From a 4Wire Outlet of a Portable Power
From a 4wire outlet, the appropriate generator cord sized for the potential amperage rating of the outlet could be connected to a NEMA 3R panel which could provide the needed 120 volt circuits with would be provided through the appropriate over current protection or circuit breaker.
- IMPORTANT: Outdoor electrical outlets should always have GFCI protection.
- Connecting a Portable Generator to a Home Panel
Connecting a portable generator to a home must always be done through an approved transfer switch or circuit interlock device to ensure power separation between the electric utility company and the portable generator.
More about Wiring Generators
- Portable Home Generators
- Portable electric generators for home use and the proper electrical connection to your home.
Home Electric Generators
This series covers a wide variety of topics all about home generators including sizing, selecting, connecting and safely operating this all important addition to your home.
Understand Portable Generator Sizes, Options and Applications
Wiring Electrical Outlets for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.