How to Fix a Dusk to Dawn Light Fixture
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
How to Repair a Dusk to Dawn or Motion Detector Light Fixture: Security Light Fixture TEST Setting Functions, Replacing a Motion Detector Head on a Dusk to Dawn Fixture, How to Test a Photo Cell.
What To Do If Your Dusk To Dawn Fixture is Erratic
- The security light fixture has worked perfectly for several years.
- Should I change the light bulb, sensor or the whole light?
This electrical wiring question came from: Rick who is a Handyman from California.
Thanks for your electrical question Rick.
How to Repair a Dusk to Dawn or Motion Detector Light Fixture
Application: Repair a Dusk to Dawn Light Fixture.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Hand Tools and Safe Ladder.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal experience, the light fixture and access to the light fixture.
Precaution: Identify the light fixture circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Replacement parts for the security light fixture should be compatible with the type of fixture that has been installed.
Security Light Fixture TEST Setting Functions
- Rick, first of all make sure that the motion detector head is not switched into the TEST setting.
- The TEST setting will over-ride the photo cell and will cause the fixture to trigger the lights to come on when any movement is sensed at any time.
Replacing a Motion Detector Head on a Dusk to Dawn Fixture
- If necessary the motion detector head may be purchased to replace the defective motion detector head.
- You will notice that there are a variety of sensing capabilities available, and the more sensitive the head the higher the price.
- You may also want to compare the price of the motion detector head all by itself compared to a whole new light fixture.
- Replacing the motion detector head typically involves the following three wires:
- Black wire for the incoming power.
- Red wire for the outgoing power to the light bulb sockets.
- White neutral wire, which is typically spliced together with the white wires of the incoming power source neutral, and the white wires to each light socket.
How to Test a Photo Cell
- If the outdoor light fixture does not have a standard motion detector head with a TEST switch option, and you need to test the photo cell, then follow the example in the following process:
- Locate the photo cell on the light fixture, or the external photo cell control.
- Typically the actual photo cell is inside the unit behind a round clear plastic lens, which may be located on the bottom of the motion detector, or the front side.
- With the power on to the light fixture, place a small strip of black electrical tape over the photo cell to block the light.
- Depending on the photo cell it may take about 30 seconds for the photo cell to turn on.
- If the photo cell and control circuitry is functioning properly, and the light bulbs are good the fixture should light up.
- After testing the photo cell be sure to remove the black electrical tape which will place it back into the automatic mode of operation.
More about Wiring Motion Detectors and Dusk to Dawn Light Fixtures
Installing Motion Detector and Security Light Fixtures
- Installing motion detector lighting fixtures provide security and energy savings and they can easily replace an existing exterior wall fixture.
Learn How to Wire it Right!
Complete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Perfect for Homeowners, Students,
Handyman, Handywomen, and Electricians
Wiring GFCI Outlets
Wiring Home Electrical Circuits
120 Volt and 240 Volt Outlet Circuits
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Electric Range
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Dryer Cord and Dryer Outlet
Troubleshooting and Repair Electrical Wiring
Wiring Methods for Upgrading Electrical Wiring
Electrical Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.
» Click here to learn more about Home Electrical Wiring «
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.