How to Eliminate Static Noise
How can I stop static noise on my electric wall outlets? Surge Protection and Power Conditioning for the Home.
Static Noise from Outlets
- I have a guitar setup in my basement. The outlets are connected to a single pole 20 amp breaker.
- Every time the oil furnace starts up, I get like static coming through my guitar amp and it does not go away until the furnace shuts off.
- The furnace is on a different breaker but I tried switching to different outlets anyway with the same result.
- I think I read somewhere that guitar equipment should be on a max of 15 amps but that’s what I switched it to and again, no change.
- Could the furnace not be grounded properly? I’m at a loss.
This electrical repair question came from: Bruce, a Handyman from Scotland , Connecticut.
Thanks for your electrical repair question Bruce.
Electrical Static Noise and Power Conditioning
Application: Power Conditioners and Surge Protectors.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best installed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the type of power conditioning that will be installed and the access to the location for the electrical wiring.
Precaution: Identify the existing outlet circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing permanent electrical wiring for power conditioning equipment should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
How to Eliminate Electrical Static Noise with Power Conditioning
- Static noise can definitely be produced by a motor and other equipment, and yes – the furnace circuit should be checked to see if it is grounded and correct.
- You may also want to consider using a Surge Protection suppressor or a Power Conditioner and filter for your guitar amp.
- The size of the circuit should not have anything to do with power quality.
More about Surge Protection and Power Conditioning:
- Voltage Spikes, Surges and other Electrical Disturbances can ruin or severely damage computers, DVD Players, Stereos, televisions,and wreak havoc with telecommunications systems.
- Here is how to prevent this from happening to you.