How to Convert a Switched Outlet to Non-Switched
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
How to Convert Switched Outlets to be Hot All the Time: The easiest way to convert a half-hot duplex receptacle or a switched outlet to be hot all the time is really not that difficult.
Converting to a Non-Switched Outlet
- There is a switch already in the rooms that controls the outlets on the walls.
- I know how to install the fan and wiring but how would I go about making the outlets hot all the time instead of them being connected to the switch?
This electrical wiring question came from: JC, a Homeowner from Colorado Springs, Colorado.
Application: Rewiring for a Half Hot Switched Outlet.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best Installed by a Electrical Contractor or Certified Electrician.
Tools Required: Specific to the scope of the work and the condition of the home and project. Electricians Tools, including Pouch of Hand Tools, Power Tools, Drill motor and Auger Drill Bits and Extension Cords, and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and install electrical wiring.
Precaution: Identify the circuit power source at the panel, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before installing wiring or working or making connections.
Notice: Installing additional outlet wiring should be done through the local building authority, according to applicable local and national electrical codes, with a permit, and have required inspections.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question JC.
Converting a Switched Outlets to be Hot All the Time
Rewiring a Switched Outlet to be Hot All The Time
- The easiest way to convert a half-hot duplex receptacle or a switched outlet to be hot all the time is really not that difficult.
- The wall switch simply has a loop of the hot wire going through it, so if the switch was removed and the wires were connected together then the wall outlet would be hot all the time.
- The switch could be left as a dummy.
More about Wiring Outlets
Wiring Electrical Outlets for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.