How To Control Litter Box Odors Automatically
How to Install a Automatic Exhaust Fan for a Litter Box – Smart Idea for Cats or Dogs – For best performance there should be a source of fresh air in order to provide optimal air exchange and displacement. Just to be safe, it may be good if the electrical wiring power source was a circuit that is protected by GFCI or AFCI.
Litter Box Area Occupancy Sensor Activated Exhaust Fan
- I envision that the motion detector
- which might be located at cat-height level
- that would turn on the exhaust fan
- when cat enters closet
Three questions about this Cat Little Box Project:
- Does this sound doable and workable
- What motion sensor do you recommend for an exhaust fan
- How would you wire for it
Thanks very much.
This electrical wiring question came from: Jackie, a Homeowner from
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Jackie.
Jackie, yes this sensor activated exhaust fan for odor control sounds entirely possible. One great thing about electricity is that there are so many sensors and devices available that creating something such as this is possible with just a little imagination.
How To Install an Automated Litter Box Odor Control System
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and install electrical circuit wiring.
Notice: Installing additional electrical circuit wiring should be done with a permit and be inspected.
- Select an occupancy sensor or motion detector that will detect the size of your cat.
- Positioning the motion sensor will be the next key factor in order for the cat to be detected.
- Adjustments for the number of minutes the unit will be activated on and the fine tuning for sensitivity can be easily made.
- Wiring the exhaust fan to the motion or occupancy sensor is pretty straight forward because it is very similar to wiring an ordinary light fixture, however understanding that only the sensor would be used as incandescent lighting has strict code limitations in a closet area.
- A power source will be required at the electrical box of the sensor then a cable up to the exhaust fan location.
- The size and placement of the exhaust fan will be crucial for maximum benefit.
- If for some reason the occupancy sensor does not perform well enough then a programmable time switch may be installed instead.
- For best performance there should be a source of fresh air in order to provide optimal air exchange and displacement.
- Just to be safe, it may be good if the electrical wiring power source was a circuit that is protected by GFCI or AFCI.
The Following resources will assist you with your electrical question:
Motion Detector Wiring
Installing Motion Detector Light Fixtures
Installing motion detector lighting fixtures provide security and energy savings and they can easily replace an existing exterior wall fixture.
wiring bath exhaust fans
Installing Your Bath Exhaust Fan
Answers to all of your questions about installing a bath exhaust fan and your bathroom exhaust fan replacement project.