How to Connect the Wires of a Ceiling Fan
Connecting the Wires for a Ceiling Fan Made Easy: Wiring connections for a ceiling fan may seem overwhelming when wiring to a wall switch for the fan motor and the light fixture, but this should help you out.
Wiring Connections for a Ceiling Fan
- Coming out of the ceiling box I had 1 black wire, 1 bare ground wire. I had 2 white wires connected.
- Finally I had 2 black and 1 white wire all connected.
- The 2 black and white had a strip of tape wrapped around the ends with something written on the strips.
- I am guessing these had something to do with the wall switch that turned everything on.
- In my installation instructions for the fan it says to connect the black and black n white striped wires to the black from the ceiling.
- Then it says to connect the bare ground wire from the ceiling to the green fan wire.
- Next it says to connect the white wire from the fan to the white wire in the ceiling.
- This is the problem which white wire?
- Do I separate the 2 white wires that are already wire nutted or what?
This electrical wiring question came from: Dan.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Dan
Connecting the Wires for a Ceiling Fan Made Easy
Wiring connections for a ceiling fan may seem overwhelming when wiring to a wall switch for the fan motor and the light fixture, but this should help you out.
- White wires found in the ceiling junction box are sometimes used for switching when a wall switch is used. Typically these white wires are identified with black tape or a black marker.
- The extra white wires are best identified using a voltage tester, and it would be helpful to examine the wires that are attached to the wall switch and compare this to the wires found in the ceiling junction box.
- If the ceiling fan has two white wires and the ceiling junction box wiring only has one white wire then typically the two white wires of the ceiling fan connect to the single white wire found in the ceiling junction box.
More about How to Wire Ceiling Fans
Install and Wire Ceiling Fans
Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
How to Install Ceiling Fans and Wiring
Step-by-step pictures – Easy wiring diagrams and installation guide – Light and fan switch variations.
- Ceiling Fan Wiring
- Ceiling Fan Wiring Diagram #1
- Ceiling Fan Wiring Diagram #2
- Ceiling Fan Installation #1
- Ceiling Fan Installation #2
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
Testers to Help Solve Electrical Problems