Hot Tub Grounding and Neutral Requirements
GFCI Wiring and Connections for Hot Tub Electrical Circuit Panel: Essentials for your installation, including the required GFCI ground fault protection and circuit wire size.
Hot Tub Electrical Circuit Panel Wiring
Electrical Question: I have a hot tub sub panel that has the ground and neutrals on a shared bar. I’m selling the house and the home inspector said to separate the ground and neutral but I only have one bar can I just simply add another? Is this common?
This electrical question came from: Shawn, a Homeowner from Anchorage , Alaska.
Thanks for your electrical question Shawn.
Wiring and Connections for Hot Tub Electrical Circuit Panel
- Some panels are sold this way but the inspector is correct, the electrical wiring for hots tubs does require separation between the ground and the neutral wires.
- An additional terminal strip or bar may be added, and I’m assuming that you will need a ground bar which will be mounted directly to the hot tub panel enclosure.
- The neutral terminal strip should not be bonded with the ground and should be insulated from the enclosure of the hot tub sub panel.
- The ground wire should then be separated from the neutral and the GFCI Circuit Breaker should be tested to make sure that it functions.
More about Hot Tub Electrical Wiring
Hot Tub Wiring
Hot Tub Wiring Diagram Information
- Electrical Codes and Details for Spa and Hot Tub Wiring.
- Essentials for your installation, including the required GFCI ground fault protection and circuit wire size.
House Wiring Circuits and Circuit Breakers
This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
|« Garage Wiring and Electrical Service Panel||Four Wire Oven to a Three Wire Circuit »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Hot Tub Grounding
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.