Hot Tub Circuit Ground Wire
By Dave Rongey - Summary:
Does a Hot Tub require a separate ground wire from the main panel? How to Bond the Ground Wire for a Hot Tub Circuit, Connection to the Ground Terminal, Separate Neutral and Ground Wires, Hot Tube Circuit Cable Size.
Ground Wire of a Hot Tub Circuit
- When hooking up the ground wire of a Hot Tub is there a separate ground wire required from the main panel.
- Or, is the ground in the main cable that supplies the power to the tub sufficient.
This electrical wiring question came from: Barry, an Electrician from Vancouver B.C Canada.
Additional Comments: Dave, I am a licensed electrician, I just have been out of the trade for about 12 years. What I have read is very interesting, I wish this was all available when I was in the trade. Thanks Barry.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Barry, and Welcome Back to the Electrical Trade!
How to Bond the Ground Wire for a Hot Tub Circuit
Application: Bonding the Ground Wire System of a Hot Tub.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, Voltage Tester, Continuity Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and install the hot tub wiring.
Notice: Installing hot tub circuit wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
The Importance of Bonding the Ground Wire
In reality, a wire is just simply a wire, however once a wire is connected then it has a special purpose. In the case of a ground wire, the ground wire by itself will not provide the bond to the ground of the earth unless there is a bond. This is the importance of a bonded ground system of every electrical circuit, and most importantly, the electrical system.
- Connection to the Ground Terminal
- Attaching the ground wire to the ground terminal strip at the power source is sufficient as long as it is a bonded ground.
- Separate Neutral and Ground Wires
- Be aware that most all hot tubs require a 4-wire cable set consisting of two insulated power conductors, an insulated neutral, and the ground wire.
- Bonded Ground at a Sub Panel
- If the circuit for the hot tub is connected to a sub panel then the sub panel must be wired with a 4-wire cable which includes a separate neutral wire and a separate ground wire.
- Bonded Ground at a Main Panel
- If the circuit for the hot tub is connected to the main panel then main panel must have a bonded ground system which is properly connected to the earth ground.
- Hot Tube Circuit Cable Size
- The cable size of the hot tub circuit will depend on the specific size and features of the hot tub which will then determine the circuit size. Consult the installation manual for the specific circuit requirements.
More about Wiring a Hot Tub
Hot tub wiring
Hot Tub Wiring Diagram Information
Electrical Codes and Details for Spa and Hot Tub Wiring. Essentials for your installation, including the required GFCI ground fault protection and circuit wire size.
House Wiring Circuits and Circuit Breakers
This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Electrical Codes for Grounding
Electrician Explains Electrical Codes for Grounding Home Electrical Panels and Electrical Circuit Wiring with Photos, Wiring Diagrams and Answers to Your Questions
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.
MORE ABOUT THIS TOPIC: