Home Wiring Advice – Be Careful Where You Get It From
Beware of Bad Advice about Home Electrical Wiring – Silly advice and incorrect information can be a problem – This circuit wire size should always stay the same size with few exceptions, and yes, a 15 amp circuit breaker is the right size for 14 AWG copper.
Bad Home Wiring Advice About an Electrical Circuit
Electrical Question: I just put in a new circuit on a 15amp breaker that only has lights on it.
- I used 14-2 wire, since it only has lights, no receptacles, and it’s easier to work with than 12-2 (I’m a 5’2″ tall woman, so my hands aren’t very big and I find 12-2 heavy to pull and hard to bend).
- The home run is really long (about 30 feet).
I was all ready to attach it to the new breaker, but the guy at Home Depot just told me that I can’t attach 14 AWG wire directly to the breaker. Instead, I have to either run 12-2 to the first light (and then I can run 14-2 to the rest of the lights), or I have to have a junction box just outside of the breaker box, where I change from 12-2 to 14-2.
This seems silly.
Is it really true that I’m not allowed to attach 14-2 directly to the 15amp breaker?
This electrical question came from Annalisa, a Handywoman from Charleston, IL
See more about Home Wiring for Illinois
Thanks so much for your advice!!
Thanks for your electrical question Annalisa.
Beware of Bad Advice about Home Electrical Wiring
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, electric drill, auger bits and extension cord.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and install electrical circuit wiring.
Notice: Installing additional outlet wiring should be done with a permit and be inspected.
- Your absolutely right Annalisa, that was silly advice and incorrect, your plan is correct.
- The circuit wire size should always stay the same size with few exceptions, and yes, a 15 amp circuit breaker is the right size for 14 AWG copper.
The Following resources will assist you with your electrical question:
Electric Circuit Listing
The size of the home electrical service panel is designed by calculating the square footage of the home and factoring in the code requirements for the electrical circuits that are required.
Electrical Wiring Protection using Circuit Breakers
- A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring.
- When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
For more information about Circuit Wiring
Electrical Circuit Wiring
This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
This link is helpful as a Handywoman
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|« Kitchen Cabinet Light Fixture Wiring||Light Switch Grounding and Position »|