Home Generators and Portable Generators
Summary: Home Generators, Portable Generators and Transfer Switches. This series covers a wide variety of topics all about home generators including sizing, selecting, connecting and safely operating this all important addition to your home.
© By: Dave Rongey
Guide to Home Generators and Transfer Switches
Introduction to Home Generators
In this section about home generators we will cover how to select the right generator for your home. To properly select a generator we will discuss the devices and circuits that are commonly required for the essential operation of the home.
The size of the home and the occupants may also be a factor as well. In some cases a portable generator may provide the level of power needed for just a few essential devices and small appliances. However, when undertaking a project of such importance it may be wise not to under estimate the electrical devices used on a daily basis that may be required if the normal electric utility power has been lost. In some areas where severe weather occurs, a home may be without normal utility power for several days, therefore these possibilities should be taken into consideration so you will be better prepared.
Generator and Transfer Switch
Help for selecting a stand by generator for home use with explanations about emergency generators and stand by generators.
This article discusses how to select and use residential home generators.
Lets see how a back up generator works and provides power to your home electrical requirements.
This series describes stand by generators for home use and will explain about all the important features found with emergency generators and stand by generators.
When it comes to home generators size does matter. This article all about home-generators will help you understand the basics of a whole house generator. Lets look at the features of a whole house generator system.
Lets look at what makes an Stationary Generator System special when it comes to your choice of home generators.
Selecting and Sizing a Home Generator How to rate a generator for your application requirements.This handy guide will help you understand generator ratings as it applies to your home generator project.
This generator sizing series describes the methods used to match your home electrical requirements to a generator system.
This helpful generator sizing and selection guideline will help you consider the generator size for the best value when selecting your home generator.
Lets take a look at kw and kVA and why this is an important consideration when selecting a home generator.
Lets see why a stand by generator can be one of the most reliable types of generator for your home.
Lets take a look at the difference between a portable generator and an emergency power generator and what makes them very dependable.
Lets take a look at whole house generators and see how your home can benefit from the convenience of owning one.
See how a transfer switch ensures a safe isolation of the electric utility company and your home generator.
This series describes types of generator transfer switches and how they are installed and used with home generators.
Portable electric generators for home use and the proper electrical connection to your home.
Portable generators provide a lower amount of electrical power. Portable generators offer the best value and are great for powering up individual essential circuits or small loads.
Consider these guidelines to help understand if a portable home generator is a good idea for your home.
Frequently Asked Questions about Home Generators which leads to full featured pages with photos and wiring diagrams to help you with your home generators project.
A Complete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Perfect for Homeowners, Students and Electricians
....and much more.
- Generators and Transfer Switches
- Electrical Codes for Generator Installations
- Generator Transfer switch Wiring Diagram
- Wiring Methods for Installing Electrical Panels
Questions about Home Generators
Electrical Question from Deb
[ad#block]Question: I am thinking of purchasing a 17KW Generac to replace the current generator in my house. There is approx 50′ of 6/3 with ground copper from the generator to the transfer switch. Will this wiring work with the 17KW?
This electrical question came from: Deb in Canada.
Thanks for your electrical question Deb.
Larger generators have more than one electrical outlets that are provided to connect to. Therefore, the size of the cord should be sized for the outlet that a cord will be connected to on the generator.
New and Updated about: Home Generator Sizes
What type of generator for a Clothes Dryer?
What type of generator would I need to run a clothes dryer?
This electrical wiring question came from George, a Homeowner in Thornburg, Virginia.
A typical 240volt electric clothes dryer requires 5.5kw, or 5500 watts. Because all dryers are not exactly the same be sure to check the power requirements for your specific dryer as provided by the manufacturer.
More Generator Sizing information:
Generator Sizing Tables
Generator Sizing Calculator
Related Electrical Wiring Projects
More about Generators
- Generator Transfer Switch Using Circuit BreakersCan You Make a Generator Transfer Switch Using Circuit Breakers? How to Use a Circuit Breaker Interlock Kit for a Generator Transfer Switch.
- Wire a Generator Transfer Switch VideoWhat is the Basic Wiring Configuration for a Generator Transfer Switch: Each Wiring Termination must be correct for the Power Conductors of the Line or Load.
- Connecting A Generator To A Home VideoHow should I install the wiring to connect a generator to my home? Planning and Installing a Generator with a Transfer Switch: How to Connect a Generator to a Home.
- Connecting a Generator to a Home VideosHow to Connect a Generator to a Home: Safe Methods for Connecting a Home Generator, Approved Transfer Switch, Circuit Breaker Interlock Kit, Well Pumps and other 220 Volt Circuits, Sensitive Electronic Devices and Equipment, Connecting the Generator.
- Sizing a Generator Transfer SwitchHere are the Steps for Sizing a Generator Transfer Switch: The rating and size of all the electrical components of the system should be sized properly.
- How to Install a Generator Manual Transfer SwitchHow to Select the Right Generator Transfer Switch: How to Save Money on a Generator Transfer Switch - These two items actually work hand in hand, and the end result will actually be how large the generator will be and there are a few more options that may be much easier to install and much less costly that a large transfer switch.
- How to Wire a 3 Phase Air CompressorHow is an air compressor wired and where do the wires go? Wiring a 3 Phase Motor for an Air Compressor, The Basic Requirements for Wiring Electric Motors, 3 Phase Motor Circuits.
- Generator Receptacle ConfigurationsWiring a Generator Receptacle: Generator Hookup and Receptacle Configurations, Wiring a Neutral Wire for a Generator.