Home Electrical Wiring Safety
FREE Electrical Wiring eBook and Safety Advice about Home Electrical Wiring Projects and Electrical Repairs – All Home Electrical Wiring projects should be planned out to avoid mistakes which is outlined in this eBook and throughout this website.
FREE Electrical Wiring eBook Helps You Avoid Mistakes
Electrical Question: Yesterday we installed a new hot water heater in a house that’s 60-70 years old, and we decided to replace the electrical wiring because it looked old and rough.
- When adding the electrical wiring, I did something that cause huge sparks and melted my screwdriver, and I don’t know what I did. I’ll explain
- The circuit breaker was in the open position, with both 30 amp fuses removed. I cut the wire at the tank, so I know for sure it was dead at that point. Then I removed the existing wiring from the box.
- I ran my new yellow wire into the top of the box, and then ran the ground up to the existing ground from the panel box next to it.
- Then I was installing the black wire to the bottom screw, trying to push my hooked wire end above the screw so I could slide it under it. I pushed the hooked end up into the slot in the fuse threads to get it to slide back under the screw.
- My screwdriver made contact with the bar of the knife switches, and melted my screwdriver and threw out a blast of sparks.
- I don’t understand why this happened being that both fuses were removed, and the breaker was in the open position. I only touched below the fuses with my screwdriver.
- On the right side of the knife switch bar, you can see the groove of melted steel. Notice the burnt white wire on the right side of the box.
This electrical question came from: Steeler, a Homeowner from Providence, Rhode Island.
See more about Home Wiring for Rhode Island
Thanks for your electrical question Steeler.
Home Electrical Wiring Safety Is Essential
Safety with Home Electrical Wiring Projects and Electrical Repairs Is Essential
- Steeler, an electric spark or an electric arc flash can result from a direct short to ground or it may occur when a completed circuit takes place and there is an electrical load.
- What you are describing could have been due to any number of reasons, but I will venture to say that it is due to your lack of experience of knowing exactly what you are doing.
- This is one of the causes for electrical problems that can lead to circuit failures and even injury.
ELECTRICAL SAFETY NOTE: Please – If you do not fully understand what you are doing, then call a Professional Licensed Electrical Contractor.
The Following will assist you with your Electrical Wiring:
FREE Electrical Wiring eBook and Safety Advice about Home Electrical Wiring Projects and Electrical Repairs.
All home electrical wiring projects should be planned out to avoid mistakes which is outlined in this eBook and throughout this website.
How To Avoid Electrical Wiring Mistakes
Home Electrical Safety Articles
Electrical Safety Articles covering several topics of home electrical safety and Do-It-Yourself Electrical Safety.
Home Electrical Safety
A new approach to keep kids and electricity apart with hopes to prevent children from being injured by electricity.
|« Rewiring Installing a Ceiling Fan||Upgrading 100 Amp Electric Service Panel to 150 Amp »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Or Ask Dave a Question
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.