Home Automation Wireless Remote Controlled Outlet
How to Connect LED Lighting to a Remote Controlled Outlet – If the calculated load was too high then a control circuit could be used and the actual circuit load could then be switched by a relay that would be activated by the control circuit.
Connecting LED Lighting to a Remote Controlled Outlet
- Sky-Link model WS100.
- Its a device that you plug into an outlet and then you can plug something into it and then control the power remotely (on/off). This unit has a maximum Load as follows:
- Resistive 8A(960W)
- Incandescent 300W
- I would like to plug the following into this outlet:
- A power strip containing 3 Adapters, that each have 4 LED puck lights which would be a total of 12 puck lights.
- Each LED puck light draws 2.6W. So a total of 31.2W.
- Each transformer is class 2 and has input :120V~ 60Hz 18VA and has output: 12V~ 1A 12VA.
- So my question is:
- Can this remote-controlled outlet take the load I am putting on it.
- Is it a simple matter of the 31.2W load being much smaller than the max 300W?
- or do the transformers complicate things?
- Do I have to take the transformers into account?
This electrical question came from: Gary, a Homeowner from Commack, NY, USA
Dave The Electrician’s Reply:
Thanks for your Electrical Wiring Question Gary.
How to Connect LED Lighting to a Remote Controlled Outlet
- Gary, if your total calculated LED watt load is under the rated load of the remote outlet module then you should be fine.
- The transformers consume very little power for this type of load.
- If the calculated load was too high then a control circuit could be used and the actual circuit load could then be switched by a relay that would be activated by the control circuit.
- Control circuits are generally low voltage, such as the typical heating and air conditioning control circuit.
The Following will assist you with your electrical question:
- Wiring Electrical Outlet for the Home
- Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
- Electrical Wire for the Home
- Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
For more information about Electrical Safety
- Home Electrical Safety
- A new approach to keep kids and electricity apart with hopes to prevent children from being injured by electricity.