Home Safety Tips
By Dave Rongey
Summary: These home safety tips will help prevent unnecessary problems for you and your family.
Home Safety Tips for you and your family.
- Test every Smoke Detector and replace the batteries as needed.
Install Smoke Detectors in required areas [link to smoke detector page]
- Examine light strings every year. Throw away any strands that show signs of wear.
- Fasten bulbs securely and point the sockets down to avoid moisture build up.
- Follow the directions that come with lighting decorations.
- Avoid overloading wall outlets and extension cords. Use a UL-Listed Plug Strip that has Overload Circuit Protection.
- Unplug light strands before replacing any bulbs. Review the original package to verify proper wattage and voltage.
- Replace light strand fuses with the same exact rated fuse. Consult the specifications. Do not exceed the allowed number of connected strands.
- Never use electric lights or decorative ornaments on a metallic tree. Consider using colored spotlights instead.
- Consider the kitchen table as a location when using a candle. Use a sturdy, heatproof container away from anything combustible including flower arrangements. Never leave a candle burning alone and never leave children alone with candles or matches. Candles can start fires and the hot wax can burn skin. If you ever get a burn use Aloe Vera gel, it works wonders! * Adult Note: Be extra careful when mixing romance and candles, I’ve rewired a home that was totally destroyed due to an unstable candle on a nightstand. Have fun but be Safe!
- Dispose of fireplace ashes into a metal container with a lid until cold and place the container on bricks or on a heatproof surface. It could take several hours for coals to go out. Christmas vacations have been ruined when guests put ashes in a grocery bag and placed the bag on a wood deck which caught the deck on fire and the burned the home.
- After parties, check around and under sofa and chair cushions for smoldering cigarettes. (Provide lots of good size ash trays for those who need a smoke.)
Carbon Monoxide Detectors will help alert you and your family and are recommended for your home. [link to page]
- Have at least one operable Fire Extinguisher readily available.