Helping The Handyman with Four Way Switches
How to Wire 4-Way Light Switches: Wiring Diagrams for 3Way and 4Way Switches
Wiring Four Way Switches
Electrical Question: I am struggling with the wiring for a single light that has four light switches.
- I can’t seem to get the circuit wiring connected right
- The first three switches work but I can’t get the fourth switch to work.
- Can you help me out with the wiring?
- Some 4 way switch wiring diagrams would be very helpful.
Background: Jeremy, a Handyman from Belleville, PA.
Thanks for your Electrical Wiring question Jeremy.
Jeremy, I have provided the following links that lead to fully detailed information on this website that will assist you with your electrical question.
Wiring Diagrams for 4Way Switches
Application: 4-Way Light Switches.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools.
Precaution: Identify the lighting circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional 3-way or 4-way switch wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
How to Wire 4-Way Light Switches
4-Way Switch Wiring Diagrams
- Note about 4way Switch Diagrams:
- To illustrate the 4 way switch wiring, Switch boxes and Fixture boxes are not shown but are obviously required for every application.
- These diagrams are shown as using the Type NM cable wiring method.
- The Type NM cables contain a ground conductor which is required for all applications as well.
- The ground conductors are always bonded together to insure the integrity of the ground path.
- If you are using metal boxes, the ground conductor must be attached to each box by using a threaded ground screw or provided attachment.
- The frames of the switches which have a ground screw are to be attached to the ground conductor as required.
You identified your project to be about 4 Way Switch Wiring, so you might find this information useful:
4 Way Switch Wiring
- 4 Way Switch Wiring
- Fully explained 4 way switch diagrams. 4-way switches are a convenient way to operate lighting fixtures from three or more locations.
- The electrical wiring adds additional wiring to the same principles of 3-way switching.
|« Tripped Circuit Breaker and Lost Power to Outlets||How to Convert AC Power for a DC Inverter »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.