Help to Identify Outlet Power Failures
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
How to Identify Home Power Outage and Electrical Circuit Failures – The electrical service should be checked, Further testing may be required to identify the problem, a plug in Circuit Analyzer may be used to test wall outlets and will give a visual indication of the condition of the electrical circuit.
Identify Home Power Outage and Outlet Failures
- I checked the outlets and had 120 volts on both sides of each plug but nothing would work when plugged into them.
- I checked other outlets that were working and had 120 volts on only one side of the plug.
- This has happened before but then it started working on its own.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question JB.
Background: JB, a Homeowner from Gautier, MS.
How to Identify Home Power Outage and Outlet Failures
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with hand tools and electrical troubleshooting skills.
Precaution: Identify the circuit, turn it OFF and then Tag it with a Note before performing any wiring or inspections. Electrical troubleshooting is best performed by a qualified electrical contractor.
- With a situation such as this there could be a problem with the incoming power from the utility company.
- The electrical service should be checked by a qualified electrician.
- Look for tripped circuit breakers.
- Look for tripped GFCI circuit devices and GFI Receptacles.
- Further testing may be required to identify the problem which is best provided by a qualified electrical contractor.
- A plug in Circuit Analyzer may be used to test wall outlets and will give a visual indication of the condition of the electrical circuit.
- Contact your electrical utility company and have then check the primary side of the electrical service.
The Following will assist you with your electrical question:
Understanding Electrical Testers
- When working on home electrical wiring using voltage testers can play an important part in electrical safety.
- Electrical testers enable you to identify electrical circuits and help prevent the possibility of accidental electrical shock.
For more information about Troubleshooting
Troubleshooting Electrical Wiring
- Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting
- Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered
MORE ABOUT THIS TOPIC: Electrical Repair, Electrical Wiring, Mobile Home