GFCI Receptacle for Hydro Massage Jetted Tub
Does a hydro massage tub require GFCI protection with reset and test buttons? How to Make Sure You Have GFCI Electrical Circuit Protection for a Jacuzzi Tub.
GFCI for a Jacuzzi Tub
Electrical Question: Does a hydro massage tub require GFCI protection with reset and test buttons?
- Are there GFCI receptacles without reset and test buttons?
- The reason I ask is we had a jetted tub installed and I noticed that the receptacle our electrician installed for the motor had no buttons.
- I assumed he would install a GFCI breaker but he says that is not required because the receptacle is GFCI. Does this sound right?
- I’m concerned about the safety of the install.
This electrical wiring question came from: Klym, a Homeowner from Okotoks, Canada.
See more about Home Wiring for Canada
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Klym.
Ground Fault Protection for a Jacuzzi Tub
A GFCI device provides ground fault protection and is required at several locations including hot tubs, Jacuzzi tubs and hydro massage tubs. Ground fault protection is provided through GFCI circuit breakers and GFCI receptacle outlets. All GFCI devices have test and reset buttons to ensure they are operating properly and to reset in the case of a fault.
How to Make Sure You Have GFCI Electrical Circuit Protection for a Jacuzzi Tub
- With regard to this question, I would ask the installing electrician to test the receptacle for GFCI functionality, and show you the source of the GFCI protection, which would either be a GFCI outlet, a GFCI circuit breaker or the jetted tub which may have internal GFCI protection which would still need to be accessible for testing and resetting.
- If there is not a source of GFCI protection for this hydro massage tub then one should be installed because it is required.
More about GFCI Circuit Wiring for a Jacuzzi Tub
- Electrical Wiring Protection using Circuit Breakers
- A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
- Electrical Safety Articles
- Electrical Safety Articles covering several topics of home electrical safety
- and Do-It-Yourself Electrical Safety. electrical safety
For more information about GFCI Wiring
- GFCI Wiring
- This list of articles will help you learn about the features and benefits
- provided by GFI and GFCI Receptacles and how they are wired.
This link is helpful as a Homeowner
|« Ceiling Fan Wiring With Other Switches||Remodeling a Bathroom with GFI Outlet and Lights »|
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.