GFCI Circuit Breaker and Wiring
Does it matter where in the breaker box panel I insert a 20 amp GFCI 220Volt breaker? How to Wire a GFCI Circuit Breaker.
GFCI Circuit Protection Requires Correct Circuit Wiring
- I moved some breakers around and put the GFCI breaker above, closer to the main breaker, a single pole breaker that feeds some outlets.
- Now whenever I plug in a tool with a motor in it and turn it on the GFCI breaker trips and irrigation pump shuts down.
- Do the GFCI breakers need to be last in line in the panel, furthest away from the main breaker ?
- Or should I use a regular breaker in the panel and move the GFCI breaker to the end of the feeder line next to the pump. Or should I be doing or not doing something else.
Thanks for your help,
Background: Rick, a Contractor from Rocheport, Missouri.
See more about Home Wiring for Missouri
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Rick.
How to Wire a GFCI Circuit
Application: Wiring a GFCI Circuit Breaker.
Skill Level: Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Electricians pouch of hand tools, voltage tester and protective safety gear.
Estimated Time: Depends on the make and model of the panel and the condition of the existing electrical circuit breakers and wiring methods.
Precaution: For safety the main circuit breaker should be turned off or any other disconnect means that would deenergize the panel before replacing a circuit breaker, however turning off the main circuit breaker may not deenergize all of the areas of the panel components and wiring. This is an extensive project that requires experience and should be performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Notice: Making changes to electrical panel or electric circuits should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
GFCI Circuit Protection
- GFCI Breaker Location: The location of the GFCI circuit breaker does not affect the operation.
- Identify the Equipment Requirements: The specifications for the electrical equipment that requires a GFCI Circuit breaker and the specific GFCI protection should be identified as indicated in the equipment installation manual.
- The Electrical Circuit Wiring: Install the necessary electrical circuit wiring as required for the proper operation of the GFCI Protection.
- GFCI Example: Most spas and hot tubs require a 4-wire GFCI circuit where a separate neutral wire is required.
- If you are providing 240 volt power to an agricultural pump that does not require GFCI protection or a separate neutral then you just need to install a regular 2-pole 240 volt circuit breaker.
- Make sure to install the wiring as required for the specific motor size and a properly sized and bonded ground wire.
More about GFCI Circuit
This list of articles will help you learn about the features and benefits provided by GFI and GFCI Receptacles and how they are wired.
For more information about Circuit Breaker
A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
This link is helpful as a Contractor
Electrical Code Articles